• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 U13 opinions on price

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Found this locally 1966 u13 uncut. Guy says he has all the parts and vehicle ran before he dismantled it! Has original eye brow grill but he has welded every panel together even the fenders to the inner fenders. I think I could get it for 3500$ should I jump on it?

image.jpg

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
To restore to original.........tough call. To fix up and fart around in and say that you've got an early 66' roaster, absolutely. :)

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
hmmmmm.....what are your concerns about the resto aspect?

luke

offer him $2000. finish putting it together and bomb it around town for awhile.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I can see very poor quality welds from those pictures, I can only assume the rest of the work was poor quality too? I'd offer $2K. IF you want a correct 'stock' high(er) quality restoration, I'd keep looking. You'd be money ahead finding a better resto candidate for that.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
ok gotchya....i hate can of worms! my 68 has been nothing but....its fun and I'm only doing it because its teaching me a lot of things but I don't want to ever put as much work into another vehicle as I'm doing right now

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
ok gotchya....i hate can of worms! my 68 has been nothing but....its fun and I'm only doing it because its teaching me a lot of things but I don't want to ever put as much work into another vehicle as I'm doing right now

Then walk away would be my suggestion. Just because it is a 66 u13, does not make it worth a bunch of money. Restored or decent original shape, probably. But if you have to cut off every panel and rework it to look right it sounds like a big job. Worth it to the right person, absolutely, but it sounds like a big old worm can!

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm going to at least check it out, my current bronco has educated me on where to look for issues! If it's still around on Monday I'll give y'all an update!

C Saporito

Depending how much you're planning to spend and the condition of the frame, you can go with a new steel tub for about $9K or a glass tub for $5K. It won't be original but will be either rust free or rust proof.

That's sort of what happened to me, the original tub wound up way too much work but I got it pretty cheap.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Actually the current tubs have a lot of the 66 features but they are or will be going away from my understanding. They currently have the driver floor drain gutter, the missing indent for the Ford tag on the driver seat pan riser and the vacuum holes for wipers in the cowl. They do have the 69-77 windshield frame though...

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I hate the thought of buying a "new tub" IMO your losing all the originality. I feel if I were to buy a new tub I might as well by a new frame and start from scratch. Its kinda like buying an old cool house and tearing it down to the foundation and building something new on top...make sense? I understand if you don't have the time or money to fix something but it just doesn't feel right

C Saporito

I hate the thought of buying a "new tub" IMO your losing all the originality. I feel if I were to buy a new tub I might as well by a new frame and start from scratch. Its kinda like buying an old cool house and tearing it down to the foundation and building something new on top...make sense? I understand if you don't have the time or money to fix something but it just doesn't feel right

LOL, felt fine for me, but I was never aiming at original, it was going to be resto mod the whole way. The tub that came with my bronco was replaced due to an accident. The frame is a '66 in great shape and the body was a '75 in horrible shape. The more sheet metal I pulled off, the more rust I found. I just couldn't justify all the work then have rust popping out through a seam in a few years.

It really depends on what works in your own mind. If you need all original it makes sense to start with something in good shape, unless you have lots of disposable cash or lots of time and experience replacing sheet metal. Then, at what point do you stop calling it original, after replacing 50% of the sheet metal? It's very easy to wind up in the situation where you just keep cutting, especially if you plan on keeping the truck.

There certainly are many really nice glass bodied Broncos out there. There will be really nice Broncos with steel replacement bodies out there in the next couple years. What would become of a good Bronco rolling chassis with the usual rotted out body that you find here in the North East without these options?

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I understand where your coming from, to me I feel like im just preserving a little bit of whats left of the soul of the vehicle by fixing the rusted areas. So....what Im gathering I should pay 3K for the frame and eye brow grill and scrap the rest?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
From the pics you posted it's hard to see what "66' only" items are left on the bronco.
Tailgate
Horn ring
wheels
bumpers
rear view mirror
roadster fender mirror
eyebrow grill
dash knobs
radio
hub lockouts
speedometer
oil bath air filter
transfer case shifter and rubber boot.......

those were all unique to the 66', unless you come across a 67' using leftover 66' parts, which has been known to happen, especially with the tailgate, speedometer and hub lockouts. If there's very many of those parts included, it's worth the $3k IMO.

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
good to know...ill bring that list with me when I go check it out

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
From the pics you posted it's hard to see what "66' only" items are left on the bronco.
Tailgate
Horn ring
wheels
bumpers
rear view mirror
roadster fender mirror
eyebrow grill
dash knobs
radio
hub lockouts
speedometer
oil bath air filter
transfer case shifter and rubber boot.......

those were all unique to the 66', unless you come across a 67' using leftover 66' parts, which has been known to happen, especially with the tailgate, speedometer and hub lockouts. If there's very many of those parts included, it's worth the $3k IMO.

also I noticed from the photos the latch handle for the tailgate is gone ie welded over or bondo'd in ... :/

OP
OP
rydog1130

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Heres the listing description seller gave....

“This is a gem of an Uncut U13 purchased 20 years ago where they were using it as a grounds vehicle drove it for a spellthen decided to redo it ...Very solid almost no rust true survivor was a frame off redo frame axles transmission and transfer case were sand blasted and painted with POR15 all new U joints front floor panels replaced with thicker sheet metal due to original rust Rockers same bit small areas where patch panels have been welded in on inner fenders near fire wallphotos are of all items that come with it welded body panels together for a smooth look ( yeah kind of wish I would have left that alone also)shaved off gas cap mirror mounts and rear latch for tail gate currently a hole was cut floor to figure out shifting linkages (this part of floor was redone not original )lower miles on tires Ran beautifully when it was driven Stored for last 15 years in heated garage great for sand toy ice cream store summer cruising Beautiful Truck For sale locally also”

Attachments

• bronco 1.jpg
    bronco 1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 50
  • bronco 2.jpg
    bronco 2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 50
  • bronco4.jpg
    bronco4.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 49
  • bronco3.jpg
    bronco3.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 47

C Saporito

Did he weld the grill to fender seams or just bondo them?

The truck looks better in these pics, I would probably buy it. There are some obvious issues but it doesn't look like a rusted mess.