• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1967 Bronco Rebuild

nrowles

Hello All. This is my first post to the site. It seems there is a broad range of information and resources on this site.

I am considering a rebuild of a 1967 (I think) Bronco. It is my stepfathers. He ran it for probably a few years and now it has sat for the last 15 or so. I believe mostly due to the body rusting badly. It was never in the best condition, but it was a good driver back in the day.

I figure it would need at least the following to become road legal in Pennsylvania: Motor rebuild or new, fuel lines, brake lines, braking components such as pads and drums, fluid flushes, and obviously the body work.

I am not a "motorhead". When a vehicle has sat that long, what else is a good possibility to be replaced? Is the clutch, transmission and drive still as good as the day it left the road? What about suspension? Brake calipers? Anything else?

Thanks for reading and responses.

Dad's74

Hello, I'm a newbie as well. Signed up about 10 minutes ago! Quick suggestion re: the brake lines: use stainless steel and steel braided hoses where possible. It's a major improvement over the OEM, and not that much more expensive. (also grease as many fittings as you can....there's a bunch underneath) Good luck!

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
When they sit a long time the seals go bad from lack of use. The motor may not need an overhaul, but a straight overhaul is usually the cheapest and easiest part of a build. Clutch and driveline will usually survive unless you've had moisture incursion, then you can have a handful. Best thing to do is get in there and luck for corrosion, and just plan on replacing all the seals. I can't think of any information that the good folks on this site can't provide for you. You can also start thinking about up grades. One of the best you can do is a front disk brake conversion, and close behind is power steering. Cough up $12 and become a contributor so you can post up some pictures and let us see what you have! Good luck!;)

broncojo

Loc.
Lewis Run, PA
Hello fellow Pennsylvanian, great you can join. I've picked up a couple of older ones that sat for a long time myself, best thing is to get it fired up and see how she runs. From there you can assess what is needed in the motor department. Check all the fluids before doing anything though, the couple I have brought back from the grave have ran fine just needed some gaskets and such. When you decide to do the build you can rebuild at that time if necessary.

OP
OP
N

nrowles

Forgot to mention that it did sit inside a barn for the 15 years. That does help. Also, a couple years ago he spent some time trying to get it to start. It did fire but he couldn't keep it running because there was a crack in I believe the dipstick tube and it was spitting oil. Body work may be my biggest problem to get it road legal without getting "fancy" and putting 15 grand into it.

I read a post on here from a couple years ago a guy stating he spent 30 hours just to get the floor pan out and ready to put the new in. Wow! Hopefully that's one of the toughest things to do in a rebuild. That's putting the time in just for one of the many tasks at hand.

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
I would start by hooking a 1 gallon gas can straight to the fuel pump and get it running. When they have sat for a long time you do not want to suck any old gas from the tank. After you get it running then you can drop the tank and clean it out.