• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1967 U13 - How rare

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I think I just found a '67 U13. It's in decent shape (runs and drives) but not an original truck. Not numbers matching and cut. I think it's overpriced for what it is BUT how rare are these? It would be a factory restoration project for me.

RJGarza

Loc.
Karnes City
I believe any U13 is rare. I have a 66 U13 that is all original that I plan on fixing up slowly. I don't have the money to restore it to factory specs but I'm sure I'll come up with something for it. I sometimes wish I would have just ended up with a cut bronco powered by a V8. I want something I can put a mild lift on and at least 35s. Can't do that to my uncut 66 :( regardless the condition I would buy it if it's priced decently. They're hard to come by.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I think I just found a '67 U13. It's in decent shape (runs and drives) but not an original truck. Not numbers matching and cut. I think it's overpriced for what it is BUT how rare are these? It would be a factory restoration project for me.

Numbers matching is really a chevy thing. Fords did not numbers match to my knowledge.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
What do you guys mean by "numbers matching"? Are we talking VINs?

That is a GM (and maybe some others, but not FoMoCo) term where the body, frame, engine and trans (and maybe other parts as well) all have a matched set of sequential numbers.

FoMoCo did not use any numbers on the engine like that. For GM's, it typically means it has the original drivetrain in place.

When used to describe a Ford, it is just hype that shows the seller does not even know what the term they are using means.

gray gables

That is a GM (and maybe some others, but not FoMoCo) term where the body, frame, engine and trans (and maybe other parts as well) all have a matched set of sequential numbers.

FoMoCo did not use any numbers on the engine like that. For GM's, it typically means it has the original drivetrain in place.

When used to describe a Ford, it is just hype that shows the seller does not even know what the term they are using means.
maybe for broncos, but not for ford muscle cars,aka boss 302,429, numbers matching means everything.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Typically when I use the term "numbers matching" to describe a Ford, I'm talking date-codes, not VINs. And you CAN have a numbers matching Ford that way. If you have an original Bronco or Ford, there are date codes on: trans case, rearend case, transfer case, steering box, heads, manifolds exhaust and intake, block, water pump(if Ford orig), radiator and many more parts. Makes a difference to me. I'm restoring a 71 Baja Bronco built in mid- April of '71 right now and am going to the extra effort of making sure all components with the date code stay with the Bronco. So far rearend centersection, pinion retainer, steeringbox, trans case, t-case are all confirmed and and recorded so I can claim "numbers matching". I agree that it's not the same as GM with VINS, but JUST as important with Fords.
maybe for broncos, but not for ford muscle cars,aka boss 302,429, numbers matching means everything.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Typically when I use the term "numbers matching" to describe a Ford, I'm talking date-codes, not VINs. And you CAN have a numbers matching Ford that way. If you have an original Bronco or Ford, there are date codes on: trans case, rearend case, transfer case, steering box, heads, manifolds exhaust and intake, block, water pump(if Ford orig), radiator and many more parts. Makes a difference to me. I'm restoring a 71 Baja Bronco built in mid- April of '71 right now and am going to the extra effort of making sure all components with the date code stay with the Bronco. So far rearend centersection, pinion retainer, steeringbox, trans case, t-case are all confirmed and and recorded so I can claim "numbers matching". I agree that it's not the same as GM with VINS, but JUST as important with Fords.

Amen; sometimes finding a right casting date code or build date is almost as hard as a "numbers matching" restoration for a "correct restoration".

Back to the original question: The '67 & '68 U-13 seem to be the most rare and the "N" code (designating a V-8 like the one RMiller recently restored) is most rare with only 199 units being produced.

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Back to the original question: The '67 & '68 U-13 seem to be the most rare and the "N" code (designating a V-8 like the one RMiller recently restored) is most rare with only 199 units being produced.

Thank you.

gray gables

I turned my 67 into a roadster since it's only driven during the summer, painted the original color peacock blue, call it a resto mod I guess. Tried to sell it just a bunch of tire kickers out there.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My research a year or so revealed there are about 100 plus in existence, maybe ten in restored quality, probably less than 25 in daily driver mode, the rest are for all purposes just VIN numbers.

That said, rare is in the eye of the beholder, I do not see the Bronco climbing even to the desirability of a mid 50's pickup truck. Small cab, low top, hard to see out, old school hard to drive four wheel drive. Top price for restored stock one is around $25,000. Interestingly, restomods have more money potential as those have the items folks want, AC, PB, AT, nice seats, stereo, etc.

If it's cut, you have just lost the all original claim.

gray gables

My research a year or so revealed there are about 100 plus in existence, maybe ten in restored quality, probably less than 25 in daily driver mode, the rest are for all purposes just VIN numbers.

That said, rare is in the eye of the beholder, I do not see the Bronco climbing even to the desirability of a mid 50's pickup truck. Small cab, low top, hard to see out, old school hard to drive four wheel drive. Top price for restored stock one is around $25,000. Interestingly, restomods have more money potential as those have the items folks want, AC, PB, AT, nice seats, stereo, etc.

If it's cut, you have just lost the all original claim.
mine's uncut, and has pwr steering and a c4 automatic, rust free also, came from new mexico originally.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
u15 with roadster features, like I said I only drive it in the summer, no need for hard doors and a hard top when it only goes out in the summer.

A U-13 collector is only going to want a VIN that is a "U-13"; a U-15 roadster doesn't have the same magic!