• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 Bronco Dana 20 front out put seal question

428kidd

I have to replace the front seal on the out put of my transfer case. The seal is behind the yoke . My question is one how hard is this? Second use a puller to remove the yoke and drive the seal out? Third what does the yoke torque back at? Any help in any of this is appreciated!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It is not difficult. Unbolt the driveshaft, shift it to 4x4 to hold the yoke and remove the nut. The yoke will usually pull off by hand, if not a harmonic balancer puller or steering wheel puller work great. Remove the seal with a screw driver, hammer is helpful, bending the edge near the retainer helps it come out, be careful to not damage the retainer around the seal it will leak. Gently tap in the new seal with a hammer, taking your time to not bend it. Use sand paper to clean and scuff the seal surface on the yoke. Apply a couple of drops of oil on the seal surface and reinstall. Put a bead of RTV silicone sealant under the nut inside the yoke and install the nut. It’s a large nut, torque is tight, 150ftlbs is usually my target. Install the drive shaft.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Just go ahead and do the rear seal too while you're under there unless it's already been replaced.

OP
OP

428kidd

Thanks , I went ahead and swapped it off another transfer case I had. Thanks for the help!