• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 John Bundy Narrowed Bronco "Rock'n Horse" Sale/Trade/Part

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
1970 John Bundy Narrowed Bronco "Rock'n Horse" Sale or Part

I have stumbled on another project bronco and sadly have to sell one or the other.

This is John Bundy's old Rock'n Horse Bronco. It was one of the first narrowed Broncos done when he and Pat Gremillion did them quite a few years back. The truck has been featured in many magazines and has 4 wheeled most of the big trails across the west.

Its a 1970 Bronco that has had the sides cut off and narrowed 4 inches each for a total of 8 inches. The frame is stock however the front spring buckets have been cut off and it now utilizes 14" inch coilovers. The engine is an injected 351w with less than 5000 miles according to John. The tranny is an art Carr shifted small block C6 connected to a twin stick atlas II. Custom crossmembers and driveshafts round out the drive train. I bought it minus axles however I have a 44 and 9" with Aussie lockers front and rear. The rear is a 76 tapered housing with 31 spline axles and roller tapered bearings and stock 76 brakes. The front is a stock D44 with most the parts to convert to GM disk. The front shocks are Fox 14" coilovers and are brand new having spent over $1200 on the remote reservoir shocks and springs. Brakes include a hydroboost, adjustable proportioning valve and line lock for front digs. The front clip is tubular and removable with cut front fenders and "High Country" hood. The tub is rust free and is Rhino lined top and bottom. The seats are beard and due to the way it was narrowed it still utilizes a full width rear seat. Full 6 point family cage with integral air tank and seats mounted to the cage. Rock sliders round out the body. This truck has hours of labor in the narrowing and has coolers and basketry everywhere. I also have a brand new BC Bronco's rear tank with internal fuel pump. The dash is custom with a CB, Pro-comp gauges, GM tilt steering column. It still utilizes the factory heater. The top is a custom narrowed soft top with original Bundy 2 piece soft doors and inserts. I do not have a hard top or doors for this truck. Factory looking 8x15 wheels mount 35x12.5 BFG Mud Terrains and I have one extra tire but no wheel for the spare.

In order to start wheeling the truck it would need an alternator, the rear tank installed, front and rear brakes finished and new fuel and brake lines. Otherwise its complete.

I am willing to to sell just the body, body/engine/tranny/transfer/driveshaft for $7500 or the complete truck for $12000 which is what I have in it. I will not sell the axles separately, they will either go with the truck or go on my new truck.

If you have interest in it send me a PM and we can talk. I need to get rid of one of the two I have and I would prefer to keep my new one. I may take less if I were to keep more, let me know what you want and we can see if we can come to an agreement.

Here are the only pictures I have.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dnewman9/BundyRockBronco

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
BTW, as I have thought more about the truck I have come up with more parts like a painless wiring harness, hotrod shop wiper setup, and custom HD drive shafts.

If you have a solid drive train, I would be willing to sell the body complete with cage, dash, steering and seats. It will fit without any modification on a standard Bronco frame. Again its rust free and rhino'd inside and out!
Dennis

ransil

Bronco Guru
I was going thru some old magazines/ catalogs last night an saw this Bronco in one or 2 of them.

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I have added some more pictures to the web album.

I have also added a parts post for the body only. For everyone who has asked and is interested I will not begin to sell any parts until the body is gone. I need the garage space back.
Thanks
Dennis

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
Based on all the questions I have had, here is a quick FAQ,

Q1. Will you sell the Rear axle, Atlas, seats or (name your part) right now?
A1. I will only sell the complete tub assembly as parts first. I would rather keep the truck together but I need the room and the tub assembly is the only thing I cannot reuse for my new truck. If I can sell the tub assembly I can tear down the rest and get it out of my way. I define the tub assembly as the tub (which is rhino lined inside and out), 6 point family cage with seat mounts in the cage, custom dash, wiring harness, custom top, GM steering column, heater, front tubular inner fender structure, fenders, grill and high country cowl hood.

Q2. How firm are you on the price.
A2.1 I am negotiable on the price but even at what I am asking I think this is a pretty good deal. When I bought it I took a “part it out” approach to setting value. I paid $7500 for the truck with no axles, front springs, fuel tank or alternator. That is all this truck really needs to be trail worthy. That being said I figure the fresh 351w, injected with ecu and C6 have to be worth $2000, The also almost new Atlas 3.8 has to be worth $2000, narrowed body-hood-grill-fenders-tailgate-cage rhino lined top and bottom $4500 and then easily another $1000 for door inserts, custom soft doors, beard seats, adjustable panhard, power steering setup, and the 2-3 tranny, steering and other coolers, most with fans, radiator, hydroboost, custom heavy duty drive shafts, Art Carr Shifter, etc. That’s close to $10k in parts alone!
A2.2 On the new parts I have bought like the coilovers, BC fuel tank, wheels and tires I am firm on the price. These are all brand new parts that I got a good deal on and can easily use on my new truck. I will throw in the factory tank out of my 69, you would just need to get a fuel pump for the efi. I also have a Dana 30 and 9” with roller wheels and tires so the truck can be transported.

Q3. Do you have any of the magazines this truck was in.
A3. No while I do think this truck is cool for being a piece of Bronco history I do not have nor have assigned any value to this. I may be underestimating that but again I tried to be as reasonable as I could when setting value and this aspect is hard to estimate.

Q4. How could I get it to (Name your Location)
Q4. I can make the truck ready to roll pretty quickly. I would like to keep the axles I built anyway and if that is good for the buyer I can put my Dana 30 and a roller 9” housing (from my 69)under it at no extra cost. If you do not want the wheels and tires I have 4 steel wheel rollers I can put on as well. As far as shipping I have no suggestions but I have shipped roller vehicles like this before and the costs are close you just need more time. That being said I would like it out of my garage ASAP as I can’t do any work on anything the way things are stacked up right now.

Q5. What does this truck need to drive?
A5. In the interest of transparency, I paid John $7500 for the truck and title. As it sat when I got it home it needed the following to get back on the trail.
1. Fuel pump, fuel tank, and filler neck. The lines are there to the EFI but John ran a Fuel Cell in the rear passenger compartment.
2. Axles, Brakes, steering. The brake lines run down the frame but you need frame to axle and axle out to the brakes depending on what axles you are running. I have a high country adjustable track bar and the adjustable drag link that you can either use or use to build new.
3. Alternator. This is the most simple as John took his off because it was for the Premier Power Welder he kept.
4. Front Springs. As I have said previously I bought brand new 14” Fox Coilovers and the springs John used on the truck. I have fabed up the lower mounts but need to finish the install and mount the remote reservoirs. I also have the factory spring buckets, you could easily put this back to stock springs by welding these back on and purchasing shock mounts like Wild Horses or Duffs sell.

With that you would be back on the trail. There are a few other “projects” I would like to do long term.

1. The rear bed floor is thick aluminum diamond plate John mounted the fuel cell to. I have a full factory bed floor that goes with the truck or body for free that I would put back in.
2. I would then mount the rear seat back into the cage as opposed to the floor, by welding two spreader bars between the rear 4 points of the cage.
3. John had broken the track bar drop bracket on the trail and welded up a fix. It’s not pretty but according to him it holds. I would clean up the brace a little. This will probably be done at the time of front axle install so you can keep your front steering linkage and track bar in the correct geometry.
4. Speedometer. There is room on the dash, John just didn’t use one on the trail. They are easy to connect to the Atlas.

I have tried to be as thorough as possible but I probably missed something. If you are interested come take a look at what I have as I do not want any hard feelings if you do buy it. You can also drop me an email or PM and I will send you my phone number to talk live if there is any issue.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
70 bronco for sale

Hey if you don't mind me asking, what did Bundy move on to after this rig? I can remember when I lived in Ft.Collings seeing his original Rock N horse (blue colored) and then seeing this one in downtown Ft.Collins and just drooling! Used to visit the website when all the pics where still up on the web too.

man if I had the money I would drive out and pick this one up.

Ben

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I've seen this truck at Dennis'. It is well worth what he's asking.

John

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
Hi John,
Thanks for the bump!.

Bundy has begun building a Jeep from scratch. He and a guy I work with and the one of the Curries bought narrowed aluminum Jeep bodies and are building custom chassis etc. When I picked up the bronco he had just received the Dana 60s.

BTW, Bundy's truck will be a roller this afternoon which will make transporting it much easier. I have a few people interested in it right now and no one is wants the 9"/44 which is ok because I wanted them for my 69.
Thanks
Dennis

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Damn, so Bundy turned into a Heep guy. what a let down..
Was hoping he had some wild kind of new suprise waiting for all of us.
narrowed jeep bodies? What is that a one person buggy?

Ben

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
Enthusiasm with this truck has slowed down.

Someone make me an offer!

Look in the parts section as well. If someone wants a nice narrowed body with cage top and doors I am willing to part this thing out. I can use the drivetrain from it for my 69. I would hate to see it go that way but I need it out of my garage so I can get to work on my 69.
Dennis

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
FYI..I will take trades, my dad is looking for another Bronco. Can only be complete and running though.

Status
Not open for further replies.