• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1970 Top - Liftgate / Tailgate Rubber Question

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I was trying to think this through, but know there's someone out there that has the answer. ;D

As I go through and plan / save up to replace all my exterior rubber, I'm thinking about the hard top liftgate and tailgate seals. I'd like to have things set up so that I can take the top off as needed...

Again, my truck is a 1970 wagon. Using LMC's diagrams for an example, here's the setup for a 1969-1977:
section-image-5d52537a647701.56970664-2x.png

So this would be the "proper" set up for my year, but notice item #1 is a one piece liftgate seal, which will be a problem when the top comes off.

I compare this to the 1966-1968 setup:
section-image-5d52537801ab31.89077412-2x.png

Which is designed for the top to be separated. If this can be retrofitted to my model (I don't know if there were changes in the tailgate and top between '69 and '70), then this looks more "ideal".

I'm open to ideas, and know I'm just using the LMC diagrams as an example... If there's a smaller vendor on this site that sells such a kit... I'd rather do business with ya'll.

Back when I bought my Bronco I let things like this go by the wayside... Now I have a little more time and money I'm trying to think ahead on how I'm going to do it right, for the long haul.

Thanks for your help!