• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972 Bronco Horn Does not work.

Ark Bigfoot

honeycoon_

Are you sure that the horn button is making contact with those points? If it works when you connect them but not when you use the horn button itself, it may be the button's fault. Make sure the contacts in there are all clean.

Alternatively, have you ensured that your horn works? I had messed with my horn for a bit, not sure if it worked or not, and tested the horn itself by hooking it to jumper cables and a battery. It didn't sound so I knew that was part of the problem. Based on what you said it sounds like it does work, so this probably isn't the issue.

OP
OP
A

Ark Bigfoot

My thoughts of how it works is: the "L" shaped metal from the steering wheel, which is
positive, come in contact with the metal plate inside the horn. Then when the horn is pushed down, the brass contacts meet and the current is passed to the horn. One issue I have concerns about is the hole inside the horn plate , as seen in the picture, is just barely large enough to go over the steering column threads. Since the steering column is grounded it would short out if it ever touches. There is a metal horn spring which may prevent that from happening. Obviously the battery needs to be disconnected when installing the horn assembly. Is there a diagram for this?

OP
OP
A

Ark Bigfoot

I put in all the new horn assembly parts and replaced the new plate which has the contacts with the old one and it worked. The center hole on the old one is lager allowing the plate to go over on the steering post a little farther. This allowed the plate to make contact with th "L" shaped post.

Last edited: