• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on. - Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MA 1973 Ford Bronco - Frame Off Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdcarcollector

Direct Link: http://r.ebay.com/KSvtT4
Ebaymotors item: 231339575299

Text of ad follows:
For sale is an exquisite 1973 Ford Bronco I purchased from the widow of a man who had it professionally restored in ~2009. I have receipts totaling over $18,000 for parts and labor (e.g., frame off restoration, new tires, etc.) and all of these materials will be given to the new owner.

DRIVING EXPERIENCE. I think this Bronco is absolute blast to drive -- classic summer time fun. I've got three kids and with the seat belts in the back we can pile in for a trip to the farm for ice cream on warm summer nights. If the vehicle hasn't been used, I pump the gas 1-2x and find that it starts right up with the turn of the key or perhaps give it a little "choke". With regular use, the Bronco starts right up with the turn of the key and idles nicely. Shifting using the "3 on the tree" manual transmission is easy and the 302 cu. in V-8 Windsor engine is strong -- acceleration is good and as recent as this month I have had the Bronco on the highway at 70 mph. The brakes are solid although just this week I find the right front brake is a bit more "grabby" than the left front; might just be my perception but I'll see if I can get it reviewed. Headlights, high-beams (with floor switch), wipers, left/right turn signals, brake lights and the horn all work (the vehicle passes the Massachusetts Motor Vehicle inspection in October 2013). The heating system works but don't expect a 1973 heating system to keep one "toasty warm" if you intend to drive this show-quality car in sub-freezing weather. I love to open the windows and drive "Rocky" -- as she was nicknamed -- around small-town New England; I'm sure you'll get as many comments and questions as I did. I think this vehicle would be fantastic for Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard -- capable of handling the sand/snow but its quality has me keeping it for rides on sunny summer days.

BODY/MECHANICAL CONDITION. As can be seen in the restoration photographs, the frame and body were completely stripped, coated and repainted. There is no rust on this vehicle beyond a bit of 'surface rust' here and there and mainly on the undercarriage components -- if there are any specific areas you'd like me to photograph/video -- just ask! The doors open/close nicely with the interior/exterior handles and they lock cleanly with a turn of the key. The windows roll up/down cleanly and form a tight seal (no water issues) and the top is tightly sealed on the vehicle. Truth be told I never removed the top because the prior owner did such a fantastic job sealing the top on the Bronco I just didn't have the desire to remove the top (as I originally intended to do). The rear folds down and is strong/firm and the spare tire is mounted on the inside of the rear door. The rear window locking mechanism (original key and spare -- both on Ford keys) work and locks tightly. The rear window can be placed in an open position -- I know some folks like to drive in this fashion but I've never left the rear window locked open so as not to stress the glass/frame. There are two gas tanks and a knob under the driver's seat switches between the two tanks and the switch on the dash board switches the gas tank indicator (full/empty) between the two tanks.

ORIGINALITY. I'm a fairly analytical and detailed car buyer ('61 International Scout 80, '67 Mercedes Benz 300SE Cabriolet, '76 Triumph TR6, etc.) and this beautiful 1973 Ford Bronco is a collectors dream in my opinion; of the 22,000 Broncos produced in 1973 this vehicle is just 1 of the 397 delivered in this paint/trim code combination according to Marti Auto Works. As the restoration photos show, this vehicle underwent a professional frame off restoration and exceptional care was taken to keep the vehicle in original, unmodified condition. For example, the original "paint stamps" on the engine and in the glove box (see pictures) are still in tact and I'm told that all the glass is original to the vehicle. The rear fenders were never "cut" and the vehicle was restored to the original "Wind Blue" exterior and Parchment White/Ginger interior. In addition to the dozens of receipts, I have the following valuable items:

Original Ford "Owner Card" Warranty Identification Card issued 1/25/1973 to the first owner in Denver, CO -- "like new" condition

Vehicle Inspection Certificate - 1/27/1975 - Issued to original owner (15,281 mi. on odometer in first two years).

Deluxe Marti Report detailing the original facts of the car such as this is 1 of 397 Ford Broncos with this particular paint & trim codes.
- 92" Wheelbase
- Wind Blue Paint
- 4,450 lb GVW Package
- Parchment Bucket Seats + Rear Seat
- 3-Speed Manual Transmission
- 3.50 Standard Rear Axle
- Denver ordering district (consistent with information on "Owner Card" and Vehicle Inspection Certificate)
- Options included: Skid Plates, E78x15-B Black Sidewall Tires, Mud & Snow Tires, AM Radio, Reduced Noise Exhaust System, Extra Cooling Package, Hand Control Throttle and Auxiliar Fuel Tank and Skid Plate.

Letter dated 9/17/2007 from Ford Motor Company detailing the original specifications and optional equipment for vehicle U15GLR02451
- 92" Wheelbase
- Wind Blue Exterior Paint
- Parchment/Ginger Interior Trim
- Rear Seat
- Skid Plates
- 3-Speed Manual Ford Transmission
- 3.50 Ford Rear Axel Ratio
- E78x15B Belted BSW Mud & Snow Tread Tires (new tires were installed in 2009)
- AM Radio
- Extra Cooling Package
- Hand Control Throttle
- Auxiliary Tank with Skid Plate

Original 1972 Bronco Owner's Manual

Original Ford Motor Company Training Handbook - 4-Wheel Drive (mint condition).

Original 1973 Ford Truck Shop Manuals
- Truck Service Specifications Manual
- Volume 1 (Chassis)
- Volume 2 (Engine)
- Volumes 3&4 (Body & Electrical), and
- Volume 5 (Maintenance & Lubrication)

Original and Duplicate set of "Ford" keys for ignition and rear window.

And of course the dozens of receipts totaling over $18,000 parts and labor (e.g., new upholstery, new tires, etc.)... this doesn't include the cost of the actual vehicle!

WHAT'S NOT IDEAL? As one of the pictures shows, there's a very small paint chip on the drivers side fender. There is also a tiny 'feather' in the front windshield -- its difficult to photograph but its about the size of a fingernail clipping. The radio is original however there are no speakers in the car -- I've been looking for the right way to wire speakers without impacting the originality of the vehicle and have yet to make a decision. There's a little surface rust on the underside of the vehicle and the rear-door handle but frankly I think if I washed the Bronco before I photographed it this wouldn't have been very visible. In fact I should add that all of the photographs were of the car "as is" -- it was not detailed or washed before I took the photographs; that's after a summer of driving around coastal New England. I mentioned the right front brake feels a bit 'grabby' to me.

WHY AM I SELLING? Great question. I'm something of a car nut and I sometimes like the hunt as much or more than owning. After years of rotating through various classics I settled on a Bronco figuring it would be a fun, rugged vehicle for my family and spent the better part of two years searching for a high quality, fully-restored original Bronco with the expectation I would "keep it forever". Unfortunately my personal circumstances changed (injury, longer-commute) and I'm not going to be able to take advantage of this phenomenal vehicle as much I hoped. I could keep it for a future time but I don't think its right just to let it sit. That said, I'm not looking to "fire sale" this car so please no requests for silly low-ball "Buy It Now" prices; this isn't my first rodeo.

I might bring it to Mecum in October since I missed Barrett Jackson (this week in Vegas) in case anyone expects to be there.

QUESTIONS? Please fire away, I'm ready and available to answer your questions before you bid. I'm happy to shoot additional photographs and/or video if needed and will do my best to make the vehicle available to someone wishing to arrange a personal inspection. I have perhaps 200 photographs of the before, during and after restoration process as well as current day pictures. I'm not quite sure how to get them all available to folks but if I can figure out how other folks integrate an external link, I'll update my listing.

TERMS & CONDITIONS -- IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ
I'm sorry for the intimidating "legalese" but I've sold several classics on ebaymotors over the years and encountered a lot of deadbeats and newbies; I'd rather get this said right up front for folks.

BIDDING. I try to carefully describe the vehicle to the best of my ability and supply an abundant number of photographs. I must stress that while this vehicle has undergone renovation it is not "new" or "modern"; it is a 40-year old used vehicle. Please take the time to read the vehicle description and comments and review the photos. If you have additional questions, by all means ask them and I'll do my best to get back to you in a timely fashion. Please consider bidding only after you have carefully reviewed the materials and I have answered any/all of your questions; I encourage all bidders to have a third-party inspection. I expect all bidders to have some previous Ebaymotors.com car buying experience; if this is your first instance purchasing a car on Ebaymotors.com or your first time on Ebay, please email me before bidding otherwise I'll just cancel your bid -- I've got no time for folks who bid first and think later.

NO GUARANTEE/WARRANY. This vehicle is sold "As Is" with no warranties expressed or implied by seller. The Bronco will come with books and/or manuals included in the photos and description. Minor signs of wear may become more obvious under close inspection such as small chips, nicks, scratches, abrasions, or scuffs. If this level of inspection is critical to you, please consider a professional inspection before bidding.

DEPOSIT/PAYMENT. The successful bidder must contact the seller within 24 hours after the auction has ended to verify the purchase and make arrangements to complete the transaction. A deposit via certified funds in the amount of 5% of the vehicle purchase price but not less than $1,000.00 must be received within two (2) business days -- UPS/FedEX or PayPal (discuss with Seller first) and full payment must be received within seven (7) business days via cash or certified funds. If funds are not received, and buyer/seller have not made alternate arrangements (I'm flexible), the vehicle will be made available to other buyers. I will NOT release the vehicle until I have had an opportunity of the certified funds to be confirmed/cleared (e.g., don't expect to show up on a weekend with a check and take the Bronco -- I'll release it when I'm able to speak with the bank on Monday AM to confirm the funds).

SHIPPING. Buyer must arrange for pickup and shipping of the vehicle. I'm happy to coordinate the pickup of the vehicle (zip code 02043) but I'm not going to deliver the vehicle to a transportation terminal or port.

I reserve the right to cancel bids and/or my auction at any time and for any reason; the vehicle is being marketed locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.