• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 Windshield frame removal / install

mnido

I need to remove my windshield frame to complete my build. If I grind of tack welds and replace the hinge when I install, can I tack weld the new hinge to the frame and sheet metal screw the other side of the hinge to the Bronco ?

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p You need to get a spot weld drill bit. Drill out the old welds and take it off its a PIA but works just takes some time good luck and have fun.;D ;D ;D Bill%) :cool: ;D

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

I have a spot weld bit remover, my question is can I sheet metal screw a new hinge to the body of the Bronco ?

doran4x

Contributor
Yes. The earlier Bronco windshield was mounted with screws to the cowl. I think they would be #6 or #8 washer head x 1/2" or 3/4"

Tom

ProjectBronco70

Loc.
Tennessee
Does anyone have pictures or drawings of what is being talked about? I have to replace my broken one and when I go out and look at it, I don't see any welds etc. I folded it down to look but can not see what needs to be drilled out etc. I have two broncos would it be ok to take a good winshield out of one and put on the other or should I just go out and look for a new one? The Bronco's in question are 70 and 71 models. So I am pretty sure they are not bolt on windshield frames. Thanks for the help.

doghauler

Loc.
Western WA State
I took the frame/hinge off my 71. I folded the window down and cleaned up the part of the hinge that attaches to the cowl area with a wire wheel. There were about 30 spot welds I had to drill out with the spot weld bit. They were not consistently located (ie: every 1/2 inch) and they were not all in line. Basically mine looked like the guy who ran the spot welder had too many beers for lunch. Took a long time, then when I thought I had them all, I'd find another, they are hard to see. I never took the hinge off the window frame as I'm buying both new.
I'm not sure about attaching the new hinge. If you screw it down you are putting holes right behind your dash, I'm concerned about leaks even if you seal well. I haven't done mine yet, but the new hinges are stainless and I can't weld stainless very well with my setup, so I may end up screwing it down. Any ideas for sealing the screw holes? RTV? rubber washers? both?