• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1975 Denver Bronco Limited Edition Ranger

stump338

Loc.
Parker, Colorado
I am currently in the process of restoring a 1975 Denver Bronco Limited Edition Ranger. This is a very sentimental car: 1) I love the Denver Broncos, been a bronco my whole life, 2) The biggest reason I love this car is my grandpa bought brand new and now i get it, for my first car! My uncle, dad, and I are working as a team to restore it, Although my uncle has restored his Early Bronco we do not know everything there is to know and specifically my bronco.

This is why I am writing this thread, to be able to learn more and better ways to restore this wonderful machine. I will continue to write on this thread until my bronco is fully restored. I am truly hoping someone will help me out. And show me a few tricks while becoming more and more apart of the Bronco Family.

My first group of questions is: My bronco has a lot of rust around the body and inside also, which is better to replace the body with? Steel Sheets or a Fiberglass Tub? Also, is it easier and cheaper to replace the whole tub with one part or replace each and every panel.

I am looking forward to the helping support of the ones who reply and help me with this project, and expand my knowledge about bronco restoration and vehicles all around.

KennyB

Loc.
Simi Valley
I started the Restoration, Started finding More and More Rust. Then I realized, I was 8 bolts short of taking the body off...

So.....Body on? or Body Off? I'm on my 3rd Bronco. My dad bought this 1972 Ranger in 1987. Used it to launch his Fishing Boat. and Lived in a Beach town. plus, I helped him paint it 2 or 3 times.
The Fiberglass Tub has it's own issues. I didnt go that route. I've been replacing the sheet metal panels as I go, and cutting out cancer, or plating over it with new 16 Guage.
if you have a good 110volt Mig, it'll handel the Sheetmetal. If you wanna go with a Modern Day Suspension, you need a Good 220Volt Mig.

75Denver

This thread is useless without pictures!!;D

If I were you, assess how much rust is hidden throughout the body. My Denver came out of Aurora and is COVERED in rust!:cry:. The paint is original but underneath and inside it's rusty as hell. I've been slowly, slowly working on mine for over 3.5yrs. Only when I was half way through the mechanical restoration part of it did I REALLY wish I took the body off. Since yours has so much sentimental value, I would do it right the first time. Take the body off and give yourself the room to work on the parts needing immediate attention. As others discussed in your other forum question, put the disc brakes and roll cage on it for safety. I didn't do the disc on the thought of keeping it "original" and really wish I had now:(.

As for the body, DO NOT do fiberglass!! Lame. If you're considering replacing the body keep the value of it and find yourself an original steel tub without rust. I'm really thinking I might go that route to save myself both time and money of patch paneling the entire truck. I look at it as the paint being the only thing truly original (and Denver specific)....and in our case the rust over-trumps the originality of the paint. You're still going to have to re-paint it in the end so why not do it with a rust free original Ford steel body? Right?

Good luck with the resto and take your time! Rushing through things and skipping over parts/pieces will only cost you more time and money in the end. Also, enjoy your time with your dad. I really wish I could have done more Bronco projects with mine in the past:).

And don't forget to post pics;)

oldskool

Loc.
Denver
First of all, if you have that much rust do not take body off frame until all rust is gone. You will thank me later. Strip everything of truck. Reinforce body A pillar to B pillar top to bottom left to right. This is only in Cab area. Engine compartment you can remove all once you measure front Driver side to back Passenger side don't lose measure. Then have media blast entire body. Install new body mounts and start replacing panel by panel. Make sure you measure everything before you cut it out. A & B pillars and windshield are very important to keep doors align and windshield cap for doors and Hard Top.

Go down to Harbor Freight and buy a shit load of clamps small large medium the more the better, This is to hold down panel to measure and test fit. One you weld it in and it doesn't line up. Pull out the drill bit and start over.

Jeff's Bronco Graveyard has a very good inventory of body replacement parts. Make sure you inspect them carefully before you install them. They are not from Henry Ford so they might be off a bit. I found that out the hard way.

Oh yeah before I forget take your time. I spent two years just on body alone, but I only worked on my Bronco one or two nights per week with no or little help. You have your father and uncle helping you that is cool, so it might take you three years. Between the arguments and questions and beer runs. Yeah maybe.

It is very hard to tell you what to do with out seeing pictures of The Bronco. Take a look at http://nickstrix.com/ website under restoration and look at the Miami Bronco. You will see how he keeps body on frame and built legs with wheels. Then they are able to work on entire body. I would not recommend for you to cut out eveything like in the Miami Pcture, this guys are experenced body men.

Good luck. Keep us posted