• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 Bronco rear main gas tank question

Lancer29

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and wanted to say hello, and wow, what great resource for Bronco owners!

I recently picked up a 1977 Bronco in need of some work. The rear main gas tank was out of the rig and I do not have the skid plate or mounting hardware. I have the tank which is good condition but what I am looking for is some input on where to get the skid plate parts for the 1977? Seems as thought 66-76 are all over the place.

Anyone have a picture or description of what I will need in terms of bolts, straps, who makes the best skid plate etc? Any input on other parts I may need? I am going to replace the sending unit as I figure now is the time with tank out of the vehicle. I see several places offer the skid plate but have no details on what is needed to bolt them up and what straps to use.

I searched the forums and got some info (One strap from tank to skid plate. etc)

Any help would be appreciated!

Lance

Last edited:

riggermortis

Any of the bronco websites should have what you need to put it back together. Tom's bronco parts, bronco graveyard, wild horses 4x4, bc broncos, james duff. My 2 cents, while it's out already I would put a 23 gal. In it's place. Makes it nice not having to fill up every other day.

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Your tank is strapped to the skid plate, then bolted to the frame as an assembly. When I purchased the skid plate from JBG the ribs were positioned wrong, and had to be ground out, and re-positioned. They paid for it, as I suggested using a local welder vs. shipping it round trip again. In hindsight, I would have went the route of a 66-76 tank, or upgrade to a 23 gallon as others have.

OP
OP
L

Lancer29

Brian, when did you buy the skid plate from JBG? Wondering if the one they sell today has been fixed in terms of proper fabrication?

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Its a good thing you already have the tank because they are very hard to find! And no one makes a stock aftermarket tank for the 77' that I'm aware of.

You can look in the parts section on this website, and post in the want ad in the 'looking for parts' section. Toms sometimes has some stock parts from Bronco's and these parts are not on their website, you'll need to call them https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/AdvancedSearch.do

Another issue that you'll face is getting a filler hose. If you have a body lift this job becomes 10 times harder.
No one makes a pre-formed filler hose for the 77' tank to the filler neck. The diameter is a different size on the tank and the filler neck, making it very VERY difficult to install a uni-size filler "fuel rated" filler hose that you buy at the local parts store.
Once the tank is installed there isn't much room to work, now add the bells are a different size and its quite a job getting the filler hose installed! I still have the scar's on my hands from this job.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are a few vendors on this site with parts. Here is how the stock skid plate looks and the tank on a 77. Skid plate bolts directly to the frame, then a T handle strap goes over the top. Super simple.

Filler hose for the 77 (This is the one I got, hopefully it works for me) - https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/fuel-filler-hose-rearmain-gas-tank-1977-ford-bronco-new

Filler hose http://shop.broncograveyard.com/1977-Ford-Bronco-Rear-Filler-Neck-Hose/productinfo/10251/

Aftermarket skid plate- http://shop.broncograveyard.com/1977-Ford-Bronco-Skid-Plate-Rear-Tank/productinfo/10234/

I would guess broncohut would have the skid plate, maybe toms, duffs and Nick northeastcfp@gmail.com just to name a few.

Attachments

• IMG_5389.jpg
    IMG_5389.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lancer29

Great info Guys! Thanks.

duffymahoney, where did you get the strap?

Last edited:

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine had the strap still. My bronco was pretty much rust free so the skid plate and strap were fine. I just had them powder coated. I bet Nick has them. He is that email. He has a large bronco graveyard.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
A factory 77 Bronco skid plate is usually expensive and hard to find. Probably better off going with a reproduction or the 23 gallon option.

OP
OP
L

Lancer29

Thanks again guys and thanks Duffymahoney for Nicks contact info. He is hooking me up with the T-strap so I should be all set when I order the skid plate and a new sending unit.

Getting fired up to get this thing on the road this spring!