• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 Bronco Refurb Questions

broncomemories985

Hey guys,
My grandfather has given me his beautiful 1977 Bronco and I am in the process of trying to figure out what all should be done to it. It's a beautiful evergreen, white trim, red pinstripe around. I plan on keeping this car my entire life, but need guidance and information from those more familiar. For reference, this car has maybe been driven 3K miles in the last 20 years. It is 100% functional, had the local shop bring it up to speed on necessary issues. The interior is spotless, it does have an after market AC under the dash that is not reliable that I think I will remove. However, I have a few questions as follows...

- I want to restore it stock. However, are there any things you all would recommend replacing on it that would be nice? I am thinking more advanced shocks/struts, but I would like to make it perhaps a bit more sophisticated than it was in 77'
- I have found out recently it was repainted in the late 80s, and then for whatever reason in 2010 because the shop found out it had lead paint. It is a beautiful paint job and despite me seeing this car in his garage for the last 30 years, I didn't know this was the case. With this said, how much will this effect the value?
-Are there any things you absolutely would or WOULD NOT do to this vehicle? My dream is to make it just as beautiful and reliable as it was in 1977. Thanks.!

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Lead was very common in auto paint back then. Green paint would have less than red or Orange or some other colors. I would not worry about it at all. It is not an issue unless you sand it off in which case you need to take the normal precautions and wear a mask. It’s no different than any older vehicle.
Put some Bilstein shocks on it. Good shocks will make a huge difference. Add a sway bar if it does not have one.
What I would not do is change anything that cannot be put back to stock. Keep your old parts.
You might even think about saving the A/C. With new hoses, a bigger condenser, and a Sanden compressor, the old under dash units can keep you fairly cool running R134. I restored the dealer added unit in my ‘77 and it cools great.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Welcome to the best forum on the ‘net. Become a contributor for $12/year and you can post pictures…and we need to see pictures!
I’ve got a 77 as well, but it’s raggedy enough I’m having to rebuild it.

Randy

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Advice from slow leak and a person who has taken stuff off and regretted it later , keep the ac and see what you can do to fix it
or keep it as a fan. Parts get lost and go missing, 3 years from now, when you want it back

OP
OP
B

broncomemories985

I am not sure why he repainted it back in 2010, but it is still gorgeous.
I thought about potentially lifting it but I really appreciate how it was back in 77' and don't want to change anything. Shop he uses now offered to fit a new AC, apparently they make great new ones that are styled to fit seamlessly and look natural in that cabin, but I don't want to. I truly do not know the value of the vehicle, probably about 150K miles at least, but I don't want to do anything that will affect it negatively.