• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 build book

NCW

Well, B4 I get 2 far down the road with this customer build, I thought I would begin a book. I'm uncertain if that is allowed here so Admins if I am violating the rules, please feel free to advise.

VEHICLE: 1977 BRONCO
POWER: 302 with 5004 miles on new rebuild
TRANSMISSION: CRUISE-O MATIC
REAR END: 9"
FRONT DRIVE: DANA 44
AC: NONE
SEATS: STD

BUILD:
LS3 (525 HP), 4L65E, TRANS DAP to TC
REBUILD 9" & DANA 44
3" LIFT
PICTURES:

First Look:
406952998.jpg
406952997.jpg
406952995.jpg
406952993.jpg

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
looks like a good starting point there! whats the "plan"? The lower trim is some what rare as they dont re pop it at this time, so dont diich it.

Blue

tacobronco

You might get flamed for putting an LS motor in a Bronco, but I like it! I did my Ford 5.0 EFI swap 10 years ago and I'm perfectly happy with it, but if I was doing it all over again, I would seriously consider an LS motor! They are the ultimate evolution of the pushrod v8 (design newer than any pushrod Ford by 30 years), gotta give GM credit for sticking with design simplicity (vs. OHC), and making it perform so well.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Good looking rig- I like the build plan with exception to the LS... I have read other similar threads where someone 'just had the motor laying around' or it was a freebie... Not a purist, but for such a clean starter rig, I hate to see a non Ford motor get dropped in.

OP
OP
N

NCW

looks like a good starting point there! whats the "plan"? The lower trim is some what rare as they dont re pop it at this time, so dont diich it.

Blue

I just read this and had to go out to the shop and retrieve them, thanks! I will have a laundry list of parts to sell very soon.

OP
OP
N

NCW

Good looking rig- I like the build plan with exception to the LS... I have read other similar threads where someone 'just had the motor laying around' or it was a freebie... Not a purist, but for such a clean starter rig, I hate to see a non Ford motor get dropped in.

I understand. However, it's a client's and he pays the bills. This LS is still wrapped up in its crate, trans too (with adaptors).

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
I understand. However, it's a client's and he pays the bills. This LS is still wrapped up in its crate, trans too (with adaptors).

Ugh.... I'm also a proponent of keeping ford things ford and chevy things chevy. Alas, I understand.

sarens

couldn't pass this one up, nice truck but Chevy really, this is America so people should do whatever they want (as long as it doesn't hurt others of course) but as a big Ford guy this is spookey (although I have to admit the LS is a very good platform), sure you can't talk him into a cool 351 with EFI?;)

OP
OP
N

NCW

Naw, I tried to but he just stuck on the LS. I like the idea due to the fact that I am an old hot rodder and had many odd combo's in the past from the typical 34 Ford with a Chevy SB to a Fiat X-19 extended wheelbase (95") with a 2.0 VW in the back. So, I 'm used to the razz.

OP
OP
N

NCW

Frustrated with vendors/suppliers

Well, it's been a while since I posted anything about this customer Bronco so, I thought I would vent a pinch.

As all that have dove into the deep water, you typically find things that you really don't want to see - RUST! Go figure, right.

I found the typical issues with the rear floor, removed it and set about on replacing it in its entirety. I ordered the four corners and the interior floor. I received them only to discover that I goofed and didn't pay attention to the year model - OOOOPS. So, a reorder generated four shiny new corners. So, I take the driver rear and set it in place - UGGH! too wide by 3/8". OK, I can fix that. I go to the driver front corner - 3/8" to wide. OK, batting 500. I go to the passenger rear corner, right width - yahoo! But, no factory slope, OK, I can fix that. Batting 333. So, all that's left is passenger front corner - WE HAVE A WINNER!

I was in process of fixing the other three when Mr. Bill showed up to pick up some parts I had forgotten to give him, my bad Mr. Bill. We chatted a while and he asked my why I hadn't posted to the site. I said I would.

So, here we go!

REAR DECK GONE!

KhFu7Y73xqu6pNSwzFNXd43kS1_CZ1om4AWCzCsG1ys

REPAIR CORNER:

3/8" to wide:
zGV5bM-zX1Nb9LkestnOwx1VI507aZ_qPOelCeNzrTw

To make it look right I cut a 3/8" section out.:
BkKsVs9qpRnL9Qdi769pSqQNJfcHDRrv5n_oYpXz_IE

slMTf3LFOttl5k5VT6K2M3bvpqpaA1Xn4MlsWe2Vx-c

Flipped it over and Clamped it in place:
N-L4eWsD0u2Zj2rKiDw5AWRT8YZaf_dM0HfJiUfRLZE

Tacked it together:
m4sFFsF06jNlqkROM3YJkiEaFj5xsUyZDhWLMZFf_lc

Finished it up. I spot weld about 1" apart, then simply follow down to the next one, Spot and so on until it's all filled in. Skipping limits the warpage.:
ptHrpugPn7DsAii1l_w3quouxjQsQg0kMHjMi2fNHFg

As you can see, I had to replace a small section on the front of the tub too:
gaNvYcF-9OT3XyTy4iGq78ZoozTGN0j18DUU6DgC-zs

The driver rear - much the same.:
KVCThPWwaB_I2_47uyuYmgmzDCUpRZrcxxxCwiZSHMA

All that's left is about 250 spotwelds for this section:
Xb1tlz3tKOmMopRoXLUnVRNKNu43sxVSEDJjbpOpJc4

FRONT FLOOR IS NEXT! We will see how good the one piece unit is from DUFF - Stay Tuned!

OP
OP
N

NCW

So, as I left it yesterday, all four corners of the rear floor have been modified and installed. It was time to fit the deck in for the last time but rather than just drill holes and end up with a hodgepodge of spacing's, I made a simple jig, attached it to the tub and began drilling..

rHMkcfuMVfKba0ukLkjRhlMVkAxt6pU42cote-s834Q

With the holes on both sides completed I took a chamfering tool and cleaned up the burrs.
1o_E_huUa_guUwreFpisSaxCjE9qP4bNGdC97yLbV3A

Positioned the deck and clamped it in place.

RSSgufe1N7U1BwLzZern7KBMHAZgG-dXdg6_9j7wCeI

oQnPwHAzEjBQLXWjC-azxN3eC4aKuIy8SZDgLkLOOmo

Let the welding begin!
4OSxQ01fR--kns4wXnQY_JKNSinTUl9B2QcmrqZs0WQ

Once that's all secure it will be time to move on the driver/passenger floor. See ya later!

OP
OP
N

NCW

Dash Panel - Custom

Being an old hotrodder (really old) I never liked any gauge set that comes with most any unit I might be building at the time. This build is certainly no stranger to those whims. It took me a while but I have finally come up with a keeper I think. It's rough for now while I get all of the AC vents fitted and the unit installed so please don't kid me about the finish.

408582869.jpg

With gauges:
408582870.jpg

OP
OP
N

NCW

Firewall and Cowl

As many here have found, there is a tad bit of rust in these things. I won't bore you with the cut out details, shoot, anyone can cut sheetmetal and remove it.

So, I'm going back up with the cowl and firewall and decide I really need more room on the passenger side for the AC unit. Time to fab a new top lid for the cowl and the passenger side firewall.

408582973.jpg

New top, new firewall passenger side and replacement driver side firewall. Wow, what a bunch of holes! Yuk! Needs fixin!

408582969.jpg

Much better, don't ya think.

408582975.jpg

Well, gotta make a path for the steering column.

408582991.jpg

See me in the pic - lol, just noticed it.

408582980.jpg

Backside

408582994.jpg

Thanks for looking!

pipermike

Impressive work! From the first pictures the Bronco didn't look that bad to have to tear it done that far, never know intill you get into it I guess. Is that firewall/ cowl assembly being built from scratch or are you using vendors products?

OP
OP
N

NCW

Impressive work! From the first pictures the Bronco didn't look that bad to have to tear it done that far, never know intill you get into it I guess. Is that firewall/ cowl assembly being built from scratch or are you using vendors products?

I had purchased repop parts but they were, well ugly. The degree of this build warrents better than New Ford, so it gets it. I have drawn up what I need and just bend it up until it fits like I need it to. One of the goals is to have a clean, smooth firewall - hotrod stuff.

Thanks for the comps.

jlylec

Very nice! This is going to be a sweet EB! Out of curiosity what is your estimate on build time for this?

OP
OP
N

NCW

That's a tough one

I had originally schedule a year for the build but 4 months into it, I had to have hand surgery which pushed me back a good 8 weeks. That was way back in March of 2013 and I still have not fully recovered the use of my right hand - It was scheduled to be complete in May of 2014 - I have to hurry now. I have hired a young man to work on the other customer car jobs while I devote all of my time to this 77.

Last edited:

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Oh, sorry to hear you had some issues, hopefully not work related, thought why that should make a difference I don't know.

Hope you get better soon so we get to enjoy more pictures of the work. We all like to see quality.