• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 metal main fuel tank

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Anyone ever seen a 1977 Bronco that had a metal main fuel tank from the factory?

I know the main tanks were completely different than the 66-76 main tanks and made of plastic.

The "experts" on one the Facebook Bronco pages keep saying there were metal ones available. I think these people are just saying this because of the metal skid plate mounting system and really have no idea what they're talking about.

Has anyone ever seen a '77 Bronco with a metal main tank from the factory?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I believe you're hypothesis is correct. The '77 "skid plate" that is of no heavier gauge than the '66-'76 steel tank. So it would only protect the plastic. If it was under a steel tank, it would serve no function except redundancy. Also the '77 Ford truck shop manual clearly illustrates the plastic tank and makes no mention of a steel main tank.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There was never a factory metal 1977 bronco fuel tank
Maybe available aftermarket metal tanks yes like arrow