• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1998 Explorer Swap VSS question

67bronco269

Hello
I am getting around to Installing my 1998 Explorer Donor motor and trans. I do have an ecm reprogrammed by EFIGUY. My questions is am i going to have issue with the computer shifting the trans without a VSS signal? My understanding was 1998 and up that signal came from the ABS system which i dont have. I am running an NP205 and i have seen some talk about a VSS module you can put in line with the Speedometer cable. Any help is appreciated.

Bruners4

Loc.
1/2 way to everywhere
I have the one for the Atlas with the stock speedometer cable. I need the VSS for the cruise control, but the OSS on the transmission on my '97 was enough to get it to shift properly. The additional VSS signal helped it even more. I bought a cheap VSS sensor for just the connector part of it so that it would plug into the stock harness. Computer MPH and GPS MPH are spot on. Now to get the dash speedometer to read correctly.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Yes the OSS is used to control the Trans... VSS is easy to use if you have an electronic Speedo or need a signal for cruise control.

Ford had two VSS models, one that was attached to a cable, and latter it just plugged into the trans/D20 with no provision for a speedo cable.
I have one on my speedo cable for my 79 Bronco (NP205) that provides a signal for my aftermarket Cruise control.

Napa: ECH VSS311, EC139 pigtail, and if you don't have a local Speedo cable place, I had Delux Speedo in Colorado make my cable for the 79.

Doug.

Jedeka

Contributor
The Foxbody Mustangs had a VSS. I thought I read somewhere that these work good when doing the Explorer swap. I have a Mustang VSS, but I am not that far along on my build.