• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2" body lift with 3 speed manual steering

Cheeop

Loc.
St. Louis
I ordered the duff 2" body lift along with radiator relocation bracket and extened clutch linkage but didn't know if anyone has had issues with the factory manual steering 3 speed column. Will any changes need to be made to the shift linkage with a 2" or any other problem that would help me prepare before i get started?

thanks!

Casey835

Shift linkage will be fine. What may not be fine is the steering shaft, you may have to do one of the slip shafts one of the vendors sell. My opinion about the radiator relocation is that it's not needed.

OP
OP
Cheeop

Cheeop

Loc.
St. Louis
I've heard of people having to add a joint to power steering setups. I can't find on here where anyone's actually done it to a manual and posted about it. I saw a few people said they had "problems" but didn't explain or go into detail as to how they resolved them. Pictures would be a huge help.

I've know there's many schools of thought on the radiator but Since the brackets are $50 instead of a new shroud for $100 and i dont have to worry about the hose ill go that route. its supposed to be 107 heat index next week Ill end up needing all the cooling help I can get.

Ill probably just dig into this, see what happens, and come back w any questions.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I have the WH 2" body lift. My steering shaft has some serious issues.

WH gave me 2 options. Cut the shaft close to the firewall, add a 3/4" D/D steering ujoint there my lower ujoint is already hosed so I have to replace that. Or go with their collapsible steering shaft for like $60 more than both joints.

I didn't relocate my radiator.

OP
OP
Cheeop

Cheeop

Loc.
St. Louis
That's what I was thinking since its a one piece shaft I would run into an angle issue. Thanks

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Both the 1 piece and collapsible stock shafts will have the same problem, the main advantage of the WH shaft is it is double jointed.

Same results can be obtained by adding a joint at the firewall (or anywhere in between).
The collapsible part is just a nice safety and ease of install feature.

Casey835

bysasapy.jpg
best pic I hav with me 3sp on column 2" duff body lift wildhorsesbroncos steering shaft it all works flawlessly
a3are6ed.jpg

BR549

Loc.
huntsville
Shift rods may have to be lengthened about an inch. I put wd-40 on my threads and they still broke off. Also not mentioned is the fuel hose to the gas tank. Mine was rotted anyway and needed to be replaced so no big deal. Also transfer case shifter may have to be modified. My t shift indicator didn't read correct or even go thru full range with indicator bolted to the floor in stock location. May be more issues I have forgotten. I bought the duff rad. Lowering brackets. But just used some metal plates on to and botttom of radiator to relocate the shroud. If you need the lowering brackets id send them your way. Good luck

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Seems like I remember having to remove the plate from the engine side firewall and elongate the holes to take the bind out of the column. Also had to remove some metal near my floor shifter, as the lift bound it up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2