• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2 VINs, 1 Bronco

gmilles

I’m new on the forum and hoping that someone can help me figure this VIN confusion out. I have a glovebox VIN U15GLY40423 (1977) and a body VIN U15FLB31392. It is title with the ‘77; however I know it had work done and can’t find the frame VIN as it has been painted over. Can anyone tell me what that second VIN is? I looked at Broncohio.com and the second VIN drops in between the 67 & 68 numbers!? My next steps will be to run through a Marti Report, just haven’t gone there yet. Appreciate your help!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I’m new on the forum and hoping that someone can help me figure this VIN confusion out. I have a glovebox VIN U15GLY40423 (1977) and a body VIN U15FLB31392. It is title with the ‘77; however I know it had work done and can’t find the frame VIN as it has been painted over. Can anyone tell me what that second VIN is? I looked at Broncohio.com and the second VIN drops in between the 67 & 68 numbers!? My next steps will be to run through a Marti Report, just haven’t gone there yet. Appreciate your help!

Welcome, the second vin is a 67'. Since it has a F for 170 engine along with the B it has to be a 67'. If there were a G (302 engine) where the F is along with the B, it would make it a 76'.

OP
OP
G

gmilles

Thanks Okie, I’m sure that I’d find the glove box was just added and someone along the way got it titled that way if I could find the frame numbers. The body definitely isn’t a 77 based on the lack of side tail lights and gas tank filler vs a covered flap. I’d like to figure out my Frankenstein to know if I can get it retitled correctly.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Thanks Okie, I’m sure that I’d find the glove box was just added and someone along the way got it titled that way if I could find the frame numbers. The body definitely isn’t a 77 based on the lack of side tail lights and gas tank filler vs a covered flap. I’d like to figure out my Frankenstein to know if I can get it retitled correctly.

The frame vin is just rear of the starter on top of the frame, hard to see sometimes. The warranty plate that's on your glove box door should be on the driver kick panel
by the emergency brake on a 66' and 67'. You might look and see if there's two rivet holes there where one used to be or is that where you are seeing the body vin?. 66 and 67 dash was also different than the 68-77. Post some pics when you get the chance.

OP
OP
G

gmilles

Follow-up question…

Welcome, the second vin is a 67'. Since it has a F for 170 engine along with the B it has to be a 67'. If there were a G (302 engine) where the F is along with the B, it would make it a 76'.

So on Broncoohio.com the ‘67 doesn’t show a ‘B’, just production A#####. Does the B have some significance that it was a really late production? Thank you!

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
So on Broncoohio.com the ‘67 doesn’t show a ‘B’, just production A#####. Does the B have some significance that it was a really late production? Thank you!

No significance, Broncohio.com is just full of mistakes lol.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Maybe this will help find them. In the 1st 2 pics, the blue tap is the VIN location. Also ck the white Safety Certification Sticker to have it.

Attachments

• bronco vin 1.jpg
    bronco vin 1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 74
  • bronco vin 2.jpg
    bronco vin 2.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 72
  • bronco vin 3.jpg
    bronco vin 3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 68
  • bronco vin 4.jpg
    bronco vin 4.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 70
  • bronco vin 6.jpeg
    bronco vin 6.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 60
  • bronco vin 7.jpeg
    bronco vin 7.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 56
  • vin 4.jpg
    vin 4.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 63
  • bronco vin 5.jpg
    bronco vin 5.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought my '71 in 1989, got T-boned in October of '91. Picked up a '67 for the body. I was in Idaho at the time so they made me a new VIN with two VIN's since there were two on the vehicle. Moved to Oregon and tried to transfer the title. They can't handle 2 VIN's so had to have the State Police inspect, passed, and they issued up a new VIN that matched the body.

I would check which VIN # matches the frame.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My '67 had the VIN tag on the drivers kick panel, my '71 had the printed sticker elsewhere. I have never had one in the glove box.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
My '67 had the VIN tag on the drivers kick panel, my '71 had the printed sticker elsewhere. I have never had one in the glove box.

Your 71' came with one on the glove box door originally.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your 71' came with one on the glove box door originally.

Very likely. I bought it at 18 years after manufacturer built it and it had 7 coats of paint on the various body panels. Serious case of PO oopsies.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Maybe this will help find them. In the 1st 2 pics, the blue tap is the VIN location. Also ck the white Safety Certification Sticker to have it.

you got a great start there.. Look forward to seeing full truck pics

OP
OP
G

gmilles

Thank you all!

Had to do a little grinding through the frame paint, but found the VIN, which matched the glovebox, but the body is a ‘67. Talked with DMV and they said that since the frame and and glovebox match that they recommended using Marti and getting another VIN and replace the body VIN with a matching of the glove box for purposes of current times since these things can become frankensteins over the years.

Appreciate everyone’s help and I’ll post pics once I figure out how. I read it once, but need to review. Right now it’s in rolling frame mode and getting ready for paint! Thanks all!

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Had to do a little grinding through the frame paint, but found the VIN, which matched the glovebox, but the body is a ‘67. Talked with DMV and they said that since the frame and and glovebox match that they recommended using Marti and getting another VIN and replace the body VIN with a matching of the glove box for purposes of current times since these things can become frankensteins over the years.

Appreciate everyone’s help and I’ll post pics once I figure out how. I read it once, but need to review. Right now it’s in rolling frame mode and getting ready for paint! Thanks all!

Ok, so you have a 1977 frame with VIN stamp that matches the VIN on the warranty tag attached to the glovebox door. Mounted on your 1977 Bronco is a 1967 body that still has the warranty tag attached to it.

This is simple. Your Bronco is legally a 1977, and only because of the VIN stamp on the frame. That is your only legal VIN stamp. Period, end of story.

It's nice to have a matching glovebox door, but it's not critical. Again, as stated above, the glovebox door tag is a WARRANTY TAG, NOT A VIN TAG (sorry for all caps, but this is important). It has no legal consequence, but it's a nice to have item that helps with value because it does corroborate your VIN stamp.

As for the 1967 WARRANTY TAG that's attached to your vehicle (should be driver's side kick panel), again, there's no legal effect. It's not a VIN tag, and there's no need to do anything with it. Leave it on if you want, but probably better to remove it because it's going to cause confusion. Again, since it's not a VIN tag, there's no prohibition on removing it.

Just to reinforce what's already been stated, these vehicles came with a VIN stamp on the frame and a single warranty tag. In 1966 and 1967, the warranty tag was attached to the body. From 1968-1977, it was attached to the glovebox door.