• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

23 Gal Tanks?

Todoubled

What do you think of the BC 23 Gal tank? Did you like their mounting system? I would love a new tank and like the idea of the simplicity of the mounting straps... but I love that BC has AN fittings on their tanks. The other vendors just have nipples on their tanks for rubber hoses. So Im torn.. fittings or mounting system... What do you think?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The adjustable mounts may seem like a good idea but they take up valuable tank space between the frame rails. The tank is narrower so it has to be taller to make it 23 gallons like the other brands. This makes it hang down kind of low unless you have a pretty good body lift. I prefer the tank with welded tabs that bolt on. It looks a lot more secure than the straps or unistrut mounts.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I have a BC tank and like it. I made my own skid plate and used 3M panel bond instead of welding it on. I have jacked the rear of my Bronco off the gas tank and can say the unistrut system is plenty strong.
Make sure you flush out the tank, I had metal shavings in my filter from the manufacturing of the tank.

getfuzzy

Big 10-4 on the BCB tank. I like the mounting and the fit of the tank.

Amac70

ME
Im another hater of the unistrut. I checked a while back and every bolt on it was loose and my tack welds where broken. could be user error but I don't believe so. Also my skid plate didn't fit worth a shit. actually had to weld material to it and make brakets to make it work. (why the tank did not fall out). Then there is the damm sending unit issues. But i degress.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
My son has the bcb tank in his eb (po) an is a very nice tank. when we put a 2" body lift in it was a snap to just loosen the 4 bolts and push the tank up!! I run a wh 20gal bodylift tank with a 2" bl and it sits higher in the frame than the stock tank!!!more ground clearance!!

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
i have the BCB, easy to mount, I still have not tack welded, but I check once a month bolts are tight(wish I waited 2 more months and wold of have AN fittings, other then that tough to get back bolts on(forward) w/o body lift-doable, I did it, but if u have body lift I assume it would be easier. i vote BCB

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
The adjustable mounts may seem like a good idea but they take up valuable tank space between the frame rails. The tank is narrower so it has to be taller to make it 23 gallons like the other brands. This makes it hang down kind of low unless you have a pretty good body lift. I prefer the tank with welded tabs that bolt on. It looks a lot more secure than the straps or unistrut mounts.

That right there is why I went with a different tank, that and and some other reason, bot mostly that! :cool:

OP
OP
T

Todoubled

Looks like the majority of people with the BC tanks love it, and not one post about the tanks from the other vendors. Unless I hear some thing from some of the people with the other tanks you guys may have made my mind up for me. Thanks for the input.

yakelys69

It's a great tank and with A/N Fittings it's covenant. Just test your fuel gauge 1st to see what type of resistance it want's for a 1/2 tank reading. If you get one try to ~ if possible :-[ calibrate the sending unit before you install it to attempt to get your fuel gauge to work properly. You can search post going years back about this but I think this one shows a good example.

testing gauge
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1620176&postcount=47

full thread
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1620176#post1620176

One person in that thread stated his Aero tank worked well. I emailed Aero tank the other day to find out the ohm reading @ 1/2 tank but they have not gotten back to me.

If you do test please post results.

Last edited:

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas

We have talked before about the unistrut. 1 unistrut mount is stronger that the strap and there are 4 unistrat mounts on my tank. I think the extra security is worth the extra 1" my tank hangs lower than the other tanks. I used to sell the other tank with welded tabs but had a problem with the tabs being in the wrong place for some EBs. For some people the tank would hit the floor (old stock bushings I think) and some people had body lifts and wanted the tanks higher to use that space so I got aero to make stock, 1", 2" and 3" tanks. That means I was stocking 4 diff. tanks and still had complaints about the tanks being too hi or too low so I came up with the idea of making the tank adjustable, aero wanted nothing to do with this change saying the tank was good as is and that they had been selling it a long time. I disagreed and designed my own. We have reworked the tank a few times and right now I am looking into the sending unit.
I have not heard about the unistrat bolts getting loose before, anyone else having that problem? As far as the welds breaking if the bolts get loose I can see the welds breaking as they are very small and only ment to be back uo.

jim02

Loc.
Denver area
I just put mine in last week and It was so easy to mount and everything worked. I got the one with the pump installed already, so I put gas in the tank and the bronco came to life, so far I am happy.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
My BC tank has been in for at least three years with nary a problem. Some of the screws holding the plate covering the pump and sending unit got stripped out which was my only problem. (need to order more) I initially tack welded the tank to the unit strut but I have had it in and out a few times and have not rewelded it. I have been hotsprings off road park the last few years and have not had one problem with the bolts in the uni-strut losing up. The skid plate is hell for stout as well.

Ben