• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 on the tree follow up question

Birddog75

I posted the other day in regards to the shifter bushing on the transmission arms. After further inspection it was missing the correct shift arm clip. After replacing, it did tighten up the linkage, but still having the same problem. The vehicle shifts good through all gears with no resistance or grinding. The problem occurs when shifted into second. The shift handle feels like it drops to far down when released. You actually feel it vibrate because it's putting pressure on the transmission gears. Then it will vibrate into neutral while driving. I believe I adjusted the shifter arms correct to factory spec. Before I start purchasing, pulling, and replacing all the linkage parts in the steering column I wanted to get input from anyone who may have had similar issues.

chuckyb

Contributor
Did you adjust the shift linkage where it connects to the transmission? The linkage is threaded where it attaches down there to "shorten / lengthen" the distance it moves when you shift.

OP
OP
B

Birddog75

According to the shop manual it says to pin the linkage in neutral and adjust the pins to slide into the transmission arms. Then make 4 turns out and secure. I could try going a few more turns out to see if that helps. Not sure if that will make the throw to short and effect third gear.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
just adjust till you find the sweet spot......you will know when its too short and when its too long....then split that difference. Alot of factors can change the length....hell your rod could be slightly bent. I been running my 3 on the tree for 5 years and it shifts perfect.

Squirt the piss out of all the metal and plastic plates at the bottom of the shift tube.

you say when in 2nd it drops below that and will pop into nuetral. Something is wrong inside the transmission then. take both linkages off the trannie and shift it with just the arms attached and make sure its shifting smooth and staying in place.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam

KeithKinPhx

I recently tore out my 3 on the tree and went automatic. Everything is sitting outside in the bone yard. If you are ever in Phoenix......

OP
OP
B

Birddog75

Thanks for the replies. Going threw a box of parts that came with the bronco, I found new bushings, clips, and a shifter column. I ordered some new plastic shift thrust washers and spacers. Hopefully, that does the trick.