• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 passenger rear seat options for stretch Bronco!

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Anyone running one or know of anyone that has put one in? I'm leaning this way for the 68 stretch build. Going full width on the axles so I could mod the rear inner wheel tubs as necessary. Thinking Ranger 60/40 split bench up front (Ma, Pa & a little one in the middle) and FSB bench (remaining 3 kiddos) in the rear. I like this idea better than my original of 2 sets of stock buckets and a stock rear bench thus eliminating 1 full row of seating from my plan. It'll net me a little less overall stretch making wheelin' easier plus more storage/ bed space behind the rear seat. Looked at one in the back of an FSB in my parking lot at work today and you could EASILY fit 3 kids or 2 grown adults in that seat.

Last edited:

OX1

Bronco Guru
Anyone running one or know of anyone that has put one in? I'm leaning this way for the 68 stretch build. Going full width on the axles so I could mod the rear inner wheel tubs as necessary. Thinking Ranger 60/40 split bench up front (Ma, Pa & a little one in the middle) and FSB bench (remaining 3 kiddos) in the rear. I like this idea better than my original of 2 sets of stock buckets and a stock rear bench thus eliminating 1 full row of seating from my plan. It'll net me a little less overall stretch making wheelin' easier plus more storage/ bed space behind the rear seat. Looked at one in the back of an FSB in my parking lot at work today and you could EASILY fit 3 kids or 2 grown adults in that seat.

I like it, but I doubt you will find anyone else running one without the stretch. Doubt it fits between EB wheelwells, might even be tight between the inner 1/4's for that matter.

I'd also take good look at where you can mount the rear center latch. It needs to be recessed through the floor and also be attached to some fairly strong body X-member since it the only thing that keeps the entire back of seat attached (and from flipping up).

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I like the one in my 79. Flips and folds, quick release pins for easy removal, it is extremely heavy though.

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Well, I just measured & have 56" between inner bed rails. I'm not too worried about the inner wells as I can modify those (push them out 3" on each side) since I'm going full width. Probably be able to push them back a few inches as well if I do a rear axle push. That plus an 18" or so frame & body extension should be able to fit'er in there. King sized fold & tumble would be saweet!

18" extension + 4" axle push + 92" original wheelbase = 114". Stock 4 door JK is 117" & they get through the Rubicon...

pbwcr

FSB rear seat

Width is 48.5" at the front mounts add an inch or so for some padding. You also need the FSB cross menber to allow the seat to latch in the normal position. Its a crappy seat IMO. To soft It will work fine for passenders on not so bumpy roads.
PaulW
=========

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Width is 48.5" at the front mounts add an inch or so for some padding. You also need the FSB cross menber to allow the seat to latch in the normal position. Its a crappy seat IMO. To soft It will work fine for passenders on not so bumpy roads.
PaulW
=========

Thanks Paul. At 50" or so I'd definitely be able to fit it in. So you think its too soft as in springy or bouncy? This isn't going to be a high speed rig, mostly slow crawling & technical trails.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu

I've looked at that several times Kenny for sure! It's beautiful and it would work great if I wasn't trying to get away from my original 3 row seating scheme. Would work perfect in that case, buckets up front, buckets in middle & rear seat (2 people per row). However, w/ the Ranger front (which I really like) I can fit 3 so why not just do a second row that'll fit 3? Makes sense in my mind anyhow. Fewer seats, fewer parts, less overall stretch, etc, etc.

OX1

Bronco Guru
Thanks Paul. At 50" or so I'd definitely be able to fit it in. So you think its too soft as in springy or bouncy? This isn't going to be a high speed rig, mostly slow crawling & technical trails.

I like the seat for a street bronc, but think it would not be good for technical trails, where you are trying to keep a body (or worse yet bodies) somewhat "put" and away from each other.

It is more like a park bench, no recessed areas for you butt or back that might hold you in place. No armrests on edge as they were built into the interior side panels on the big broncs.

68 Bronco Sport

I'm looking to modify a FSB rear seat as well, for the extra cargo room and passengers. I haven't made it to the junkyard yet to check out the feasibility with the exact measurements. Since I don't have the measurements yet, I'm curious how much square footage the seat takes up in the floor pan. That is my biggest concern, because you have to cut down into the bed, with some gained room from a body lift, but will raise up the floor pan in general as well, which limits your comfortable height for passengers. I'll post what I find out once I get a look at a FSB rear seat. What are all of your thoughts?

-Brian

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
My plan is to extend the body about 18" right behind the front seats. I'm going to lower the floor back down to an even height with the front floor pans something like this.

__|---|__-------

I'll extend the frame 18" under the lower part of the new floor extension as well as that area of the frame is nice and straight w/o any bends. I've actually got two frames that will be cut and spliced together (front section of the one I have the title for and rear of another) netting ONE joint and an overall 18" longer frame. I can fab whatever I need to underneath to support the new FSB seat and mounting whether it be an FSB xmember or fabbing a new one to mimic it. Rear wheel tubs will naturally be pushed back w/ the extension and I can push them back and out a few inches on each side yielding more room for a wider seat back there due to running FW axles and pushing the rear axle back a few more inches for a better departure angle.

The tubs I'm starting with out here are so rusty that they're going to need a lot of fab work anyhow so I mights well build it exactly the way I want it to accomodate 6 people. I think it'd be pretty tough to stick an FSB rear seat in a stock rig but this will be a long ways from stock. Outer skins basically and that's about it. Opens up all kinds of options for creative sheet metal work on the inner tub...

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Looking at some different options and some other possibilities might be the rear or even middle seats from an Explorer or Expedition. Nice looking seats! Rears are fold and tumble. Just need to get some measurements and see what might work.

2003 to current Expedition has a real nice fold and tumble 3rd row 60/40 split bench seat w/ integrated 3pt shoulder belt for the middle pass. Anybody got one of these rigs they could grab an overall width measurement on that 3rd row?

OX1

Bronco Guru
My plan is to extend the body about 18" right behind the front seats. I'm going to lower the floor back down to an even height with the front floor pans something like this.

__|---|__-------

I'll extend the frame 18" under the lower part of the new floor extension as well as that area of the frame is nice and straight w/o any bends. I've actually got two frames that will be cut and spliced together (front section of the one I have the title for and rear of another) netting ONE joint and an overall 18" longer frame. I can fab whatever I need to underneath to support the new FSB seat and mounting whether it be an FSB xmember or fabbing a new one to mimic it. Rear wheel tubs will naturally be pushed back w/ the extension and I can push them back and out a few inches on each side yielding more room for a wider seat back there due to running FW axles and pushing the rear axle back a few more inches for a better departure angle.

The tubs I'm starting with out here are so rusty that they're going to need a lot of fab work anyhow so I mights well build it exactly the way I want it to accomodate 6 people. I think it'd be pretty tough to stick an FSB rear seat in a stock rig but this will be a long ways from stock. Outer skins basically and that's about it. Opens up all kinds of options for creative sheet metal work on the inner tub...

Sounds like a good plan.

Only difficult thing I see is trying to get a 3 point belt in the center. Maybe could use a belt set up like the 78/79 broncos front belts (and maybe a lot newer ,but I am not sure of those setups). The ratchet mech is built into the b-pillar, which you could mount right behind the seat in the center (offcenter slightly), low as you can.

Then have the "3rd" point connected to a short belt that runs under the back of seat to the floor. The "2nd" point, that latches, would clip into another short belt that also runs under back of seat to the floor.

OP
OP
fungus

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
Sounds like a good plan.

Only difficult thing I see is trying to get a 3 point belt in the center. Maybe could use a belt set up like the 78/79 broncos front belts (and maybe a lot newer ,but I am not sure of those setups). The ratchet mech is built into the b-pillar, which you could mount right behind the seat in the center (offcenter slightly), low as you can.

Then have the "3rd" point connected to a short belt that runs under the back of seat to the floor. The "2nd" point, that latches, would clip into another short belt that also runs under back of seat to the floor.

I don't think I'd worry about a 3pt in the middle if it didn't come with one. Lap belt would suffice for the very limited use it'd see. Some models of the Expedition rear (3rd row) seats have an integrated 3pt middle seat belt as well as some of the late model Explorer middle (2nd row) seats. I have no measurements on either of these yet but, if they'd fit width wise, they'd be a real nice way to get that 3pt shoulder belt for the middle passenger as it's all part of the seat. The other two shoulder belt ratchet mechs would be bolted to the cage. Expedition 3rd row is a fold and tumble where the Explorer middle seat would be a solid mount (non-removeable) unless I wanted to get really creative. Do to the height of the seats I'd probably just tie the mounts into the frame underneath & mount right on top of the floorboard.

Just talking out loud and brainstormin'...:cool:

pbwcr

Your passengers will like it. Not so good for the whoops. Go for it.
Rachet belts will suck the into the seat Recommended. Use the stock FSB belts for the rear.
PaulW

OX1

Bronco Guru
I don't think I'd worry about a 3pt in the middle if it didn't come with one.

Iwas thinking trail only, that everyone back there would want a 3 point minimum. But if your only going to use that center seat on the street once in a while, lap should be fine (thats all I have on my rear seat in my street bronc).

KennyB

Loc.
Simi Valley
ya know, It does help if I take time to read the entire thread.... I Almost went the Ranger 60/40 Seat.... It Was an Awesome option.... I wanted Leather So bad, but dint want to pay to have the Ranger seat recovered. Best Reason to buy it, my wife doesn't Need the 60% seat,... But, over time,... She Could... =O hehehehehehe