• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 spd. man,to 4 spd. TL

Coldbear

Loc.
Springboro Ohio
Hi fellas. I just converted my 74 Bronco's 3 spd. box to a Ford TL with the help of Advanced Adapters. I'm using the old Hurst 4 spd. shifter and rods. My question : has anyone on the Forum made this conversion ,how did you manage the twin sticks for the Dana -J TC? I know ....lot's of questions. ColdBear.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You will need new shifter/rods if going from 3-speed to the TL 4-speed???

JB Fab makes a very nice Twin-stick set-up for the J-Shift. Minor mod to the shift rails and install. No internal modifications needed.

Last edited:

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
Top Loader here. Used Duff's twin sticks. Heated and bent to miss under dash a/c.
What do you mean by 'old Hurst 4 spd.'? I changed out a welded handle to shift mechanism for a Hurst mechanism with a bolt on handle (changeable).

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Kept the original inline shift pattern for the Dana 20, but opted for a old chrome Duffy shifter to match the top loader shifter.

Attachments

• Rattler 009.jpg
    Rattler 009.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Rattler 047.jpg
    Rattler 047.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
C

Coldbear

Loc.
Springboro Ohio
1974 w/4 spd. TL.

Thanks for the information. I'm using a new Hurst 4 speed shifter with Hurst rods but the rods are cheaply made. I'd like a pair of tubing shift rods with Hymen joint connectors. Once again....thanks. Coldbear.

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
Thanks for the information. I'm using a new Hurst 4 speed shifter with Hurst rods but the rods are cheaply made. I'd like a pair of tubing shift rods with Hymen joint connectors. Once again....thanks. Coldbear.

"Hymen?" better not break that...

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Colder - Advance Adaptors makes nice Shift Rod and Bracket kits for the Top Loader. They are pretty stout.

Once installed the rods are very close to each other. Heim Joints may make things worse and possible Jam???

There is the Jeep T-176 Shifter Conversion (No Rods) as well that puts the shifter on top of the transmission and creates more let room with no shifter on the side on the floor tunnel.

Twin sticks work great with either shifter.