• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 speed manual to C-4 Automatic?

oylcan

My '72 EB currently has a 3 speed manual transmission on the collum. I recently purchased a core C-4 automatic transmission that I plan on having rebuilt. My question is what am I getting myself into? What other items will I have to get, in order to convert my EB to an automatic? Thanks in advance for any help.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
oylcan said:
My '72 EB currently has a 3 speed manual transmission on the collum. I recently purchased a core C-4 automatic transmission that I plan on having rebuilt. My question is what am I getting myself into? What other items will I have to get, in order to convert my EB to an automatic? Thanks in advance for any help.
Automatic Radiator,cooling lines from the trans to radiator, Auto steering or floor shifter,Kickdown cable, adapter for transfercase. I think that will about do it. I might have missed something.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Output shaft for that goes with the adapter.
New starter
Flexplate

ugly74

Bronco abuser
column or floor shifter... I recommend an extra cooler too
can I have your old clutch pedals and hardware, and your 3 spd tailhousing?
just kidding
have fun!

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
ransil said:
Output shaft for that goes with the adapter.
New starter
Flexplate
I knew somebody would kick in with something that i forgot. When i saw your post i thought, Good grief. Thanks ransil.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I just swapped my rig over to an auto. I used my parts truck as a donor, so the tranny had the correct adaptor and output shaft. I had to change the flywheel/flexplate, the block plate, starter, cooler lines, input on the transfercase, brake pedal, and added an aftermarket floor shifter. My radiator already had a cooler or I would have had to add one.

OP
OP
O

oylcan

Thank You!

Thanks to all that responded. The info you gave me will help me a lot.

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
In addition to things you will need, I had to hog out the hole on top of the tranny that the transfer case shifter bolts to for the T shift. You might not have to since yours is a 72 and probably has the J shifter but I would check it before droping it in there.
I didn't check though and had to drill it out with it partially dropped. No fun...