• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3 speed manual / transfer case help needed

Darryl M

Loc.
Angie
Im doing a 6 cyl to 8 cyl swap in my 69. I bought a V8 3 speed from a guy that brought it to super cel but forgot to mention that the transfer case needed rebuilding until we had it in the back of my truck. So here is my question. I know my transmission and transfer case are good. So can I just swap the middle section of the transmission (Don’tknow what you call it) to make it work with the V8? TIA

Rangerbj

I think the adapters are different and the gearing is different too between 6 and 8. Need to check drive shafts and cross braces too.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The transfer case is the same for V8 and 6-cyl. There was no difference. Depending on the years, you may have a T-shift case or J-shift case, but both will bolt up to any EB transmission.

The transmission and adapter are both different for V8 vs. 6-cyl.

Use the V8 transmission and adapter with whichever t-case you know is good.

OP
OP
Darryl M

Darryl M

Loc.
Angie
The transfer case is the same for V8 and 6-cyl. There was no difference. Depending on the years, you may have a T-shift case or J-shift case, but both will bolt up to any EB transmission.

Thanks so much. If I understand correctly, I can use the good transfer case off my 6 cyl transmission on my V8 transmission and adapter.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Lengths and locations will be the same. Early transfer cases and driveshafts used Borg Warner yokes and joints. Later ones used Spicer.

If you'd mixing and matching, you might need to change yokes or joints to get everything to work.

OP
OP
Darryl M

Darryl M

Loc.
Angie
Lengths and locations will be the same. Early transfer cases and driveshafts used Borg Warner yokes and joints. Later ones used Spicer.

If you'd mixing and matching, you might need to change yokes or joints to get everything to work.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your help.

OP
OP
Darryl M

Darryl M

Loc.
Angie

What is the difference in the transmissions ? Just gear ratio? If so do you know what the difference in ratio is? Thanks

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
What is the difference in the transmissions ? Just gear ratio? If so do you know what the difference in ratio is? Thanks

Due to the 6-cyl engine block being longer than a V8, the 6-cyl transmission has an output shaft several inches shorter than a V8 transmission.

Because the transmission cross member and the transfer case are in the same location with V8 and 6-cyl, if you try to hook a V8 up to a 6-cyl transmission, the engine is moved several inches back and the firewall needs to be modified for clearance. A completely rigged up solution versus simply finding a V8 transmission to use.