• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

35 spline full spool for stock 9 inch case

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe I'm the only one that wasn't aware of this but thought I would post it and possibly save someone else all the aggravation I went through today. I bought a full spool off eBay based on a recommendation here on this site, this was about 5 years ago. This spool will work with the stock case and uses the stock size bearings. I bought set of Yukon 35 spline axles. Fast forward to today, pulled the 3rd member out and swapped the full spool in for the 28 spline mini spool. No issues, everything worked out and setup fine. Pulled the inner seals out of the housing and stuck the drivers side axle in and bolted it up, all is well. Went to the passenger side and the axle will not go in all the way, lacks about an inch+, worried with it for a while but it's obvious it's bottoming out. I even started questioning having the short vs long mixed up knowing that I didn't. End result is stock length axle for the passenger side is 1.5 inches too long. They even tell you that if you bother to read information for the spool. The spool is splined all the way through so you start engaging splines at the bearing on the passenger side. So I've got to find somewhere to cut and spline this axle for me, which I've had 5 years to get done had I known.

Hopefully this might save somebody else the same issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Inch-Ford...ash=item5b2feb274c:g:cEwAAOSwQTVV~gx~&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have seen guys cut axles within the extended spines with a cut-off wheel then chamfer the perimeter with a flapper disc.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have seen guys cut axles within the extended spines with a cut-off wheel then chamfer the perimeter with a flapper disc.

That would work if I had splines farther down the axle, it's bottoming out at the end of the splines before it's all the way in. Needs to be cut off and splines 1.5 inches farther down.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
That would work if I had splines farther down the axle, it's bottoming out at the end of the splines before it's all the way in. Needs to be cut off and splines 1.5 inches farther down.

A machine shop should be able to extend your splines as long as the axle diameter is maintained.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, my son-in-law is taking it somewhere Monday to have it done

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga

I did this several years ago I did not have to do that. I bought all my set up from Randy's ring and pinion.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
JW, rather than extend the spline just have a section turned down to minor diameter of the spline. It will work just fine, not hurt the strength of the axle and be much cheaper and easier to get accomplished.

It's a little different process but all of the high end shafts we have built the majority of the axle is turned down to minor diameter so we don't work harden and fracture the shaft at the spline and cause it to break as it gets stressed to the point of twisting.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So leave the length and turn down the area below the splines just enough to clear so that it slides all the way in ? I like that idea if I'm understanding correctly

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
interesting, I haven't heard that before. thanks for the heads up JW

bigjhoov

nobody
That recommendation might've come from me, since I run one of those spools. I recall having to send a shaft to moser to have a cut and spline done, but I think that was because the shafts that I used were from a wider housing. It's a minor thing to have done. Any of the major players should be able to take care of it. Moser, Dutchman, etc....

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
So leave the length and turn down the area below the splines just enough to clear so that it slides all the way in ? I like that idea if I'm understanding correctly

Yes that is correct. Anyone with a lathe can get that done quick and easy. Then later if you decide to go to a locker you won't need a new axle

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That recommendation might've come from me, since I run one of those spools. I recall having to send a shaft to moser to have a cut and spline done, but I think that was because the shafts that I used were from a wider housing. It's a minor thing to have done. Any of the major players should be able to take care of it. Moser, Dutchman, etc....

It may have but I was kicking myself not the recommendation Jerry. Sorry if that came across wrong. I think it work well when it's together.

bigjhoov

nobody
It may have but I was kicking myself not the recommendation Jerry. Sorry if that came across wrong. I think it work well when it's together.

I didn't take it that way. These things come up sometimes when you're working outside the box.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or have the spool opened up and 1-1/2 deep?? but if it's already setup, that hinders it..

Myself probably would've stuck a 1-1/2 jobber bit in it and went to town... lol. Probably not the most correct way to machine a carrier bore.

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes that is correct. Anyone with a lathe can get that done quick and easy. Then later if you decide to go to a locker you won't need a new axle

Thanks again, Jason called a guy that he knows that owns a machine shop and seems this is commonly done for the race crowd. We should be back in the saddle by the weekend and can move on to the next task. This thing may actually move under it's own power one of these days.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Thanks again, Jason called a guy that he knows that owns a machine shop and seems this is commonly done for the race crowd. We should be back in the saddle by the weekend and can move on to the next task. This thing may actually move under it's own power one of these days.

Very good glad you found someone to help. The only one I know in that part of the world is Branic Machine in Ft Wayne

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very good glad you found someone to help. The only one I know in that part of the world is Branic Machine in Ft Wayne

Branik is AWESOME! They are about a mile from where I work. Almost stopped in there today as I had my Bronco on a trailer and they setup my gears. They build some crazy tough parts and can do just about anything. They built an awesome 4 link front and rear for my buddy's EB.

Sorry for the hijack. Glad you found a guy. Back to spool discussion. :cool:

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks again for the suggestion Yeller, that was no doubt the best fix.
Slid right in.

So, for anybody searching in the future, if you are using a full spool, this one is 35 spline, that has splines all the way thru from bearing to bearing, you will need a 1.5 inch shorter axle or have the stock length turned down behind the splines to allow it to slide farther in. This is for the passenger side (long side), driver side is fine.

Attachments

• IMG_9669.jpg
    IMG_9669.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9670.jpg
    IMG_9670.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 13

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
And the reason it's splined all the way through is to add some section modulus to the bearing area, the splines add a bit of meat to increase strength do to the small bearing.