• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3550 swap questions

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
I picked up a used transmission and the adapter kit for this swap, but have a couple questions about what other parts I need.

1. What flywheel would I need? The engine is a 94 351W which is 28 oz. The harmonic balancer will be a rebalanced to 28 oz. Exploder unit. I am using the bellhousing from a 74 Bronco with a 302. Im thinking this means I will need a flywheel from a 74 Bronco? Should be the right balance and will match the bellhousing. I think the one I have on my shelf (with the hotspots and ground up teeth) is a 164 tooth unit.

2. What started would I use for this? Thinking that it has to match the bellhousing and flywheel...so if Im right on #1, then again I need a unit that fits a 74 Bronco.

3. What pressure plate would people recommend? I suppose I could purchase the full clutch kit and just not use parts of it...but is there a better option?

4. What clutch disc would have come with our kits? I didnt receive the clutch alignment tool...so Im not sure what to pick one up for.

Thanks for the help.

Anthony

01JLH

If you are using the 351W then you are right on with the 74 bronco stuff working for the bellhousing and flywheel and starter. Make sure you get the Advanced adapters instructions for doing this (on their website). The bell housing vent hole that is in the center just above the trans mounting surface has to be enlarged to accept the shift tube on the 3550 and still give some vent room. You can't buy a clutch kit to do this swap unless you get it from Advance Adapters (I don't believe) and buying the parts separately is next to impossible as I found out. You also must have the Advanced adapters pilot shaft bushing to go in the rear of the crankshaft. Make sure you follow the instructions that comes with that part to the exact letter- soak in oil overnight and do not use any kind of grease on it.

01JLH

Also, I could not find a splined clutch line up tool and had to just get the kit type one that has the different size pilots for it at the parts house.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
1. Any 28oz Windsor flywheel will work - does not have to be from a '74

2. Any manual transmission EB starter will work. Again, does not need to be from a '74

3. Centerforce pressure plate - again for an EB manual transmission - does not have to be -'74

4. Call AA and ask. I would think it would be a Jeep disc, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.