• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3M Seam Sealer

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Guys,
I just got my tub back from the media blaster and I need to apply seam sealer. I read a few posts that the 3M fast and firm is not recomended so I ordered the 3M all purpose autobody seam sealer.

It stays flexable like a bathroom cauk. Did I buy the wrong stuff? Can you paint over this stuff or am I going to have to scape it out?
Thanks,
John

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
How long has it been on? Did you smooth it out with laquer thinner? Most seam sealers are paintable in 30-60 minutes. I myself like Fusor800 seam sealer which is paintable in 30 minutes. Or 5 minutes if I bake it first:) Also don't use laquer thinner to smooth the sealer out, some seam sealers won't dry if you do. Always apply the seam sealer on cured primer or sealer after it has flashed off.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I like the 2 part epoxy seam sealers. You will need a really good caulking gun. The stuff mixes in the tip and is hard to squeeze out but it works great. They make an air powered gun for the stuff but you can do it by hand. Also as stated above: Primer/sealer first then seam sealer. Your only going to do it once so use good stuff.
Good luck.
Bax

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Man that some old stuff I got out of the business in 1995 but it is a good one
I'm like one of the others dont use laqure thinner on it ...may work most of the time but not 100% ...Yes after a while it'll paint over ok ....If I had it on there I'D sure not scrape it off...

DCarter001

Loc.
Baxley, GA
I just finished the priming of my front clip today. Used the 3-M seam sealer and it was still "soft". I do NOT intend to scrape it out. I used it between layers of etch primer and high build primer.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks guys.

I did have the body primed before I applied the seam sealer. It looks good but it stays ply able and was not a two part sealer.

It truly feels like a bathroom caulk days after applying. I was just worried that a second primer or paint would crack or chip over this stuff.

should I have used a seam sealer that turn es rock hard?

I read the tube and it does not say anything about being able to sand or paint it.