• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3sp Manual to Auto

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
What would I be getting myself into by swapping out my stock 3sp manual tranny to an automatic? Would different autos require different things? (I'm sure they would).

Is the C4 the easiest of the autos to swap in or is there a 4sp out there that is just as easy?

Do I have to get a new drive shaft for the rear, and possibly one for the front depending on how the transfer case works (I'm a rookie at the transfer case thing).

OP
OP
joshnjulie1

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
Just got done reading over the tech article. The C4 would be the easiest way to go.
In that instance, I know nothing about an adpater/etc. If for sale, are these usaually all inclusive if coming from a Bronco, meaning that everything I need comes with it minus the work on the driveshaft needed?

70_Steve

Old Guy
What would I be getting myself into by swapping out my stock 3sp manual tranny to an automatic? Would different autos require different things? (I'm sure they would).

Is the C4 the easiest of the autos to swap in or is there a 4sp out there that is just as easy?

Do I have to get a new drive shaft for the rear, and possibly one for the front depending on how the transfer case works (I'm a rookie at the transfer case thing).
This might get you started.
http://classicbroncos.com/tech/early-bronco-transmission-guide-automatic-options