• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

3speed- C4

cvbfireman

k so ive got a complete c-4 with the transfer case already bolted up all rebuilt and ready to go.... so i think the only thing im missing (or might have still need to go through all the boxes i have that came with the bronco) is the tranny cooler???? do i need one? should there be one? is there anything else i need to look for?

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

IMG_9813.jpg

Broncoman1966

You do not have to have a tranny cooler to make it work but it is a good idea. Otherwise when your tranny gets put under a load it overheats and tranny fluid will start pouring out of the overflow. I know this from experience. Check your radiator some have the cooler built in. Check the right hand side of your radiator and look for the tranny line hook ups 1 on top right one on bottom right. Beautiful picture! I am building 3 Broncos for myself. Number 1 is running and driving now working on number 2. Number 3 will be my first frame off total restoration.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
GET a cooler and DO NOT mount it front of the radiator, and your gonna need a shifter of some sort, and several x-mission folk say do not run it through the radiator.

rbodine

Cooler

GET a cooler and DO NOT mount it front of the radiator, and your gonna need a shifter of some sort, and several x-mission folk say do not run it through the radiator.

Myles, why not in front of radiator? I ran mine in front of radiator with hose run into the radiator then back to tranny...

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Myles, why not in front of radiator? I ran mine in front of radiator with hose run into the radiator then back to tranny...

Thats how mine is for now but while doing some studying on overheating issues and what not I read were more than one xmission company recomemded not to. 2 issues one running it thought the cooler in radi heats fuild to engine water temp and in most 302's thats hotter than recomended fluild temp. Second it blocks air flow through radi therefore raising fluid temps again.

They suggest seperating the two, let the radi cool the engine and a cooler cool the tranny.

My next project is fanned cooler for tranny, eletric fan on radi W/O the trans cooler in between for crawling low rpm eng cooling along with my stock fan. Also goin to a smaller W/P pully.

OP
OP
C

cvbfireman

awesome thanks for the info ill go check right now and see if the radiator has the hook ups... the box of goodies that i got with the bronco came with a complete bran new B&M shifter kit