• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4.56 Gears In D44

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
For 3.50 to 4.56, yes.
For 4.10 to 4.56, no, you don't need to replace the carrier.

There is an exception tho. Somebody makes thick-cut gears that allow you to use the 3.50 carrier with 4.xx gears. I've only heard about it, never seen it.

U

Unregistered

how much to change my 3:50 gears in my d44 and 9" to 4:56. Im running 33" tires now, and planning on going to 35". Also what would be the best locker to get.The truck is not an every day driver.

mitzel

Contributor
Loc.
Googleplex
you're probably looking at $500-$650 for each end. say ~$150
for gears, $75-$100 for install kit, $250-$400 for lock right/
EZ locker/detroit, plus some labor for gear setup and install.

since yours isn't a daily driver you can likely skip the consideration
of the most expensive option, selectable lockers (arb,
electrac, ox, etc.). the detroit locker seems pretty popular for
the rear. for the front some go detroit, or ez locker, or lock right.
I don't know much about plus and minus of those but lots
of others have experience and opinions so I'm sure you'll get lots
of feedback (or try a search on this website and I'm sure there's
tons of old threads discussing locker choices).

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
runnin 4.56, detroit rear, 35's. gonna go to 37's when these are dead (need an inch out rear fender for clearance).

but i love it. she's my daily/off road/everything ride. handles fine. dogs a little at low speeds, but that's more tired 302. but i don't really drive much on the highway or at all ($6 on gas every other week {as of yesterday})

even my mom is comfortable driving it. :eek:

ricks77eb

Loc.
Deer Park, Texas
I have been extremely pleased with the Detroit TruTrac that I am running in my D-44, it pulls very well and it does not have any clutches to rebuild. If I ever go to a ram assist front steering I might put a straight Detroit in the front.

Yes you have to change carriers to go to a 4.56 from a 3.50.

Rick

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
3.92 and up use the same carrier....
3.73 and down use the same carrier....

TOMKLU

Loc.
San Diego, Californi
I'm going to try the spacer or thicker gears to save some money. Going from 3.50 to 4.11's. I read somewhere on this site that you can get 4.29's front and rear, which would be a great split for 33's and a 5-speed. I don't want to go 4.56, too low for me.