• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4 Speed Toploader Question

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Will the 4 speed toploader bolt to a six cyl bell housing or does it need the V8 bell housing? (same bolt pattern?) I have read the tech article and Tom's has the intermediate housing for it, but no mention of the 6cyl combination. The early 66 tranny I have and the overdrive tranny have almost the same gearing thru 3rd gear w/ the overdrive 4th gear.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The toploader will bolt to the 6 cyl bellhousing as the pattern is the same. But I think you may need to use the V8 intermediate housing as I'm not sure if the output shaft is the same lenght on both V8 and L6 setups. so that may cause a need to move the crossmember and possible driveshaft mods.
I could possibly get you the lenght of a toploader output shaft as I've got one sitting in my shed but its a little hot out right now maye latter this afternoon.

OP
OP
Explorer

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Would appreciate it. Toms sells the intermediate housing, but everything is setup for the V8. Near as I can tell it will force me to move the transfer case back just under 3" and make drive shafts. I'll have to figure the "angle of the dangle" to see if it's feasible for the rear driveshaft angle. With the V8 it's a no brainer, only about 1" diff. This will be my last build so might as well make it to suit myself.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sorry I forgot to post this up yesterday. These should be the same measurements as a 3 sp V8 setup.
I have the standard wide ratio toploader with a stock 3 sp V8 adapter.
total lenght of trans and adapter 19"
Output shaft stickout 7 9/16"
V8 adapter lenght 9 1/4" Mounting surface to mounting surface.

Since 6 cly adapters are a little over 2in shorter I think theres also 2 different lenghts of 6 cyl adapters. I think using a 6 cly adpater is not going to work But I would consider calling AA and see if they can cut the splines further back the output shaft in there kit and shorten the shaft to match a 6 cyl output shaft then everything could stay in the stock locations. It might be worth the extra $$ it would cost.