• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

429 rochester carb...

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I asked this in someone else's thread but didn't get much response.

I'm thinking of running an early 70's Ford Quadrajet (like the ones on the old 429's in Torinos and such) on my 408 Windsor.

How would this carb compare to others such as my current 750 cfm Edelbrock regarding milage and performance?

Also, what would it take to make it work with an auto tranny?

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
The only motor Ive seen them on is a 71 Mustang 429 Cobrajet 360 hp model. Im sure they came on Torinos too and possably others. The 370 HP super cobrajet used the 780 Holley. They Qjets were available on both stick and automatic but good luck finding one, pretty rare

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Qjets will get better mileage then just about any other 4 barrel because of the small primaries. I belive they were rated at 750 cfm but some Caddys & Pontiac 455's had 850's on them so Im not sure on that. Got to have a lot of spare rods and hangers and adjust on the secondary air valves to get then right

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Dont know if I'd run the ford version as I imagine its pretty rare and pricey. If you already have one I'd consider selling it to the mustang crowd as I'm sure it will bring top$$ with the correct numbers. but otherwise it will run just as good as any carb if its setup right. I dont see you gaining much in mileage or performance over what you have as long as what you have is dailed in for your engine. offroad the Qjet will be better again if its setup right.
If you have the ford version it should pretty much bolt up to the linkage although considering it will have to be adapted to the manifold you may have to extend the linkage Not to sure about the GM version but it they still have the kick down so it will just be a matter of adapting it to your linkage.

66roadhorse

Loc.
Houston
Good luck finding one in decent condition. I looked for one for my Torino for 6 months before I finally bought an Edlebrock, 850 I believe. The best day of having the Torino was when I changed the carb. I can look tomorrow and get the number if you want. I looked on Edlebrocks site and couldn't find it.