• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

435 Going In Big Ugly (UPDATED - On the Road!)

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
Well, I figured I'd start a thread on the 435 swap I'm planning on doing in the next weeks. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but have been waiting for the right time. I picked up the tranny (3 actually) yesterday in Aurora, OR. All 3 for $60! Now we just need to get them the 3 hrs home. Aren't you always amazed at how much you can fit behind the seats in an EB? Hopefully I'll be able to get the other 2 sold to help pay for the tranny swap.

I'll be using this thread hopefully to post up pics of the swap process as well as ask questions to you that have done this before.

So, my first question is, what's the best way to clean these up? Do I just blast them with a pressure washer and then make sure they're good and dry inside before proceeding?

Thanks - Ben

Attachments

• IMG00242.jpg
    IMG00242.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG00243.jpg
    IMG00243.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG00244.jpg
    IMG00244.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
You can grind rocks with NP435's. A little water won't hurt them. If you have a pressure washer that would clean them right up. I don't have a pressure washer, so I'm stuck with the wire wheel, and brake cleaner.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
keep a detailed tech article...I will be following your footsteps.
-brian

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Hell 2 of the 3 aint dirty ....We use some stuff at work called ZEP its the best I ever saw go buy your favorite guarge or dealer and ask if they use Zep if you come by ours we'd spray un down for you and maybe even say there the hose get after it ....Dont ask the guys up front ask the kids in the back give um 5.00 or 10.00 to spray un down but dont have them in the back of your bronco knot sure about paint ...after they set for 5 monutes go to the car wash soap and water them down..... clean .....
If you can't find that then go to parts house there was one that foams and same stuff that doesnt foam seems like it was 3 letters for a name spray them and wate a spell the wash them ....

OP
OP
2BroncFamily

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
Door #1, 2, or 3?

So we made it home with the trannys. Three of them with adapters, suitcases, 2 kids and 2 adults = a fair amount of rubbing on the fenders. Our '76 is uncut and we have 33's under it, so it rubbed when we hit a bump. But, we made it.

I took a little time this am to take a closer look at them. I pulled the shift covers off of all three and picked the nicer of the three. I also looked at the trannys themselves and picked what looked to me to be the best of the three. Not being much of a tranny guy, I hope I did alright.

I spent some time cleaning it up. Since it was spur of the moment, I decided to use what I had, which was brake cleaner, a wire wheel, and a wire brush. It'll take a little more work, but its close. I think I'll put a fresh coat of paint on before I install it.

My clutch should be here in a few days, and I got my 435 -> dana 20 adapter earlier this week, so all the parts should be ready soon.

Any idea which of the three tops I chose? Or better yet, which would you choose?

Attachments

• IMG00248.jpg
    IMG00248.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG00249.jpg
    IMG00249.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG00250.jpg
    IMG00250.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 58

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
You chose #3. Make sure those plastic/teflon dodads on the shift forks stay put.

Mtn Gote

Loc.
Sultan Wa.
You can grind rocks with NP435's. A little water won't hurt them. If you have a pressure washer that would clean them right up. I don't have a pressure washer, so I'm stuck with the wire wheel, and brake cleaner.

As am I man, as am I. I right smack dab in the middle of doing an NP 435 swap. So far its pretty "easy" to do.
Cory,

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
Np435/np205

I'm ready to do mine too and can use all the help I can get.

Attachments

• Picture 092.jpg
    Picture 092.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Picture 088.jpg
    Picture 088.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
2BroncFamily

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
So tonight I got the tranny (3 spd) and xfer case drained out and the front and rear driveshafts off. I would have got more done, but I got sidetracked with another "maintenance" issue on the truck.

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102156

Tomorrow I plan on getting it all unbolted and the tranny and transfer case out of the vehicle. I'm still waiting on my clutch to show up, so that should give me some time to go through and clean everything up before I start bolting things back in place.

OP
OP
2BroncFamily

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
Okay, so I'm stuck. I'm sure its a dumb question but it needs to be asked. I got all of the shift linkages off of the transfer case and everything unhooked. Now, how do I get the xfer case, adapter, tranny out? I don't have a tranny jack, so I'm trying to get it out in pieces. I unbolted the adapter from the tranny, thinking I could get the xfer case and adapter out at the same time, but couldn't get them to split apart. Should I pull out the transfer case, then the tranny/adapter? The problem with that is there are three bolts that are nearly impossible to get to at this point. I read a few tech articles, but most just say something like "to put in an NP435, first pull out the transfer case and old transmission." Not much help there.

Hopefully you guys will offer more than that - Ben

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Rubber mallet and some screwdrivers, smack it all over the place, should start to give after a while, then pry it apart, once it starts it will move around better, it is probably gasketted with RTV so its stuck together good. I have taken mine out all together when I had an extra set of hands and also one at a time when I was alone.

Jabo76

Loc.
Raleigh
2Bronc,

Are you using a Transmission Jack or an overhead hoist or are you man handling it?

OP
OP
2BroncFamily

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
Progress!!

Made some good progress tonight. I'm slow, but as long as I'm making progress I'm okay with that. I was at a friends shop in town the other day who is a mechanic and he loaned his tranny jack to me. Five minutes and I had the whole thing out as one piece. I still can't get the adapter off the tranny. I'll work on it later.

I got the bellhousing off and also got the clutch pulled out. The clutch looks like its in good shape, but the flywheel has some checks in it. I pulled it and will try to get it resurfaced tomorrow. I was getting a lot of clutch chatter before. Hopefully the flywheel being resurfaced will solve that problem.

I cleaned the bellhousing up so I can spray it with some paint tomorrow before it goes back in. I also cleaned up the tranny good, so I will probably put some fresh paint on it as well. I'm hoping to have this all done before the beginning of next week.

Two questions:
I know I should replace the throwout bearing and pilot bearing. Where is the pilot bearing?

Do you think the flywheel was causing all of the clutch chatter?

Attachments

• IMG00252.jpg
    IMG00252.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG00253.jpg
    IMG00253.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG00254.jpg
    IMG00254.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 10

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Its the thing still jammed in the back of the crank that is fun to get out ;D

Attachments

• pilot.jpg
    pilot.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
2BroncFamily

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
Thats what I figured. Bearings usually spin though, don't they? This one doesn't. Guess I'll be getting my hands on a puller again.