• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4R70W Rebuild Tools

theshadow

So there I was about to start rebuilding my junkyard 4R70W, and then going through the ATSG manual I found they reference a fair number of specialty tools.

I had previously thought that I wouldn't need anything special, and now am wondering if I'm better off just having a shop do it vs spending a bunch of my time and $500 worth of tools I'll use once.

Any previous experience, guidance, and advice you can share from your rebuild?

Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Green_Bastard

Aside from the standard tools, you’ll need snap ring pliers and a press for the clutch packs. The press can be built with about $10 in supplies from Home Depot. The link below is the first in a series of videos on how to rebuild the transmission and they cover how to build the press and anything else you’ll need. They’re long-winded but good videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxGVxsCG9ko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Aside from the standard tools, you’ll need snap ring pliers and a press for the clutch packs. The press can be built with about $10 in supplies from Home Depot. The link below is the first in a series of videos on how to rebuild the transmission and they cover how to build the press and anything else you’ll need. They’re long-winded but good videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxGVxsCG9ko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow - thanks for the link and message. Within the first 5 minutes of the video I feel a whole lot better about taking it on.

I hesitate greatly when considering bringing parts/vehicles into a shop due to an unhealthy level of paranoia that someone else will not do what I ask or simply do a poor job.

xltboy

So i did my own, drove it about 300 miles and then OD failed so took it to a shop to have them go through it. Not sure what i did wrong... was a sickening feeling when i had neutral in OD. I purchased a ford repair manual from like 2001 or 02 which goes through all of the steps to disassemble and reassemble the transmission. Paid like 25 dollars for it at a swap meet. Well worth the money. i didn't need any special tools and was surprised with the failure in the end but happy that i gave it a try. Good luck. screw on a couple of 4x4's to the rear housing and stand the whole thing up in a oil changing drain pan. Ended up with no mess on the floor which was surprising and then you can work on it while it is standing up.
Xltboy

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I rebuilt my own using the Transmission Bench videos. I also purchased the rebuild kit from them. The specialty tools were fairly easy and cheap to make, and they have you test everything as it is going back together. Fairly easy to do. Go for it.

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Thanks gents, great feedback. Definitely going to give it a go. That 2x4 press and the steel tube alignment tool seem well worth the minimal effort.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Yep, I'm another that rebuilt a 4R using those videos. Auto trans was always a mystery to me and intimidating. Not that bad to work on...
Cleanliness is something you need to pay attention to.

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Does anyone know if the transmissionbench videos on youtube are all of them in the series? I can't find some that you would expect in the number sequence.

I can't find "part 1" for lessons 5, 6, and 7.

Just a numbering error?

Toddml

There all there lesson 1 parts 1-7, lesson 2 parts 1-4.
I just finished watching all of then on utube.

OP
OP
theshadow

theshadow

Must be a numbering error then, I only show 2 parts for 1-4, then only part 2 for the last three:
71bba8165a660e92fb899afb94fccf77.jpg