• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4wd shifter for 4r70w/d20????

fummins97

Loc.
Richmond, Mi
looking for some advice, I completed my drivetrain swap with a 98 explorer 5.0/4r70w recently. I had bought the zf adapter swap after reading on here a few testimonials on the ease of it. So my problem is that the JB twin sticks I purchased didn't fit, my fault since they're not directly for what I have. I used the bracket from the jb kit and fab'd up a t-shifter to fit but it doesn't work at all, can't put it in 4wd, it wants to bend the shifter when I try to force it. I believe the pivot point is off too much so I'm looking for what does work? (98 302, 4r70w, zf adapter to dana 20 t-shift) is there a jb kit that will work or even how can I make the t-shifter work???

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
going through this myself, have you contacted JB yet? John was really helpful with my case

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I just used my stock T style shifter. Moved it back and the rod that connects the shifter to the T-case bar had to be lengthened. Works just like stock.

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
I built a bracket in about 30 minutes and used my J shift with no problem. I will try to find a pic.

OP
OP
fummins97

fummins97

Loc.
Richmond, Mi
going through this myself, have you contacted JB yet? John was really helpful with my case

I haven't, next step if need be.

I just used my stock T style shifter. Moved it back and the rod that connects the shifter to the T-case bar had to be lengthened. Works just like stock.

Do you have a picture? How did you mount it to the intermediate housing?

I built a bracket in about 30 minutes and used my J shift with no problem. I will try to find a pic.

thanks

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I haven't, next step if need be.

Do you have a picture? How did you mount it to the intermediate housing?

thanks

Mine bolted up pretty easy. If I remember I had to grind the adapter for clearance on the shift rail side but not much. Then I just lengthened the rod. I don't think I have any pictures but I'll check.