• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2 installed, pics!

jlake4130

Loc.
phoenix, az
I installed my 4x4x2 box and BC broncos frame bracket. Overall it was an easy install. Also, i installed my t-bird calipers and ran the brake lines for the front axle.
Now im working on setting up the trackbar and drag link. I have a riser on the axle and am trying to decide if i should run the frame drop bracket too (3.5 in lift).here are some pics;

Attachments

• 4x4x2 box 001.jpg
    4x4x2 box 001.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 176
  • 4x4x2 box 005.jpg
    4x4x2 box 005.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 4x4x2 box 004.jpg
    4x4x2 box 004.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 4x4x2 box 003.jpg
    4x4x2 box 003.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 4x4x2 box 006.jpg
    4x4x2 box 006.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 4x4x2 box 002.jpg
    4x4x2 box 002.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 167
  • trackbar3 001.jpg
    trackbar3 001.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 155
  • trackbar3 002.jpg
    trackbar3 002.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 136
  • trackbar3.5 001.jpg
    trackbar3.5 001.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
OP
OP
jlake4130

jlake4130

Loc.
phoenix, az
Very nice job! Where's the trackbar and drag link from?
i made the trackbar out of some 1 1/2" x .250 wall dom. And plan to make the draglink from the same material.

I'm trying to decide if i should run the frame side trackbar drop bracket and use a drop pitman arm, or remove the trackbar drop bracket and go with a stock pitman arm? What do you guys think? compare the trackbar angles in pics 7 and 9. thanks !

OP
OP
jlake4130

jlake4130

Loc.
phoenix, az
Any advise on the trackbar drop bracket? Should i run it, or ditch it? First pic is without, second is with. Ideally you want the trackbar and drag link parallel with the ground (and each other), right?

Attachments

• trackbar bracket - bronco 001.jpg
    trackbar bracket - bronco 001.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 42
  • trackbar3.5 001.jpg
    trackbar3.5 001.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 42

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Shouldnt need the drop bracket and the riser. basically you want to remove the drop bracket to lesson the stress. yes you want the angles to be similar they dont have to be perfect as lenghts are different.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
I've always heard that you cant use the drop bracket when running TRO anyway. The axle riser is the way to go. And with a 3.5 SL you only need one or the other. You might want to wait until the full weight of the Bronco is on the springs before you finalize your design and welding because the angles will change as the springs compress.

OP
OP
jlake4130

jlake4130

Loc.
phoenix, az
I've always heard that you cant use the drop bracket when running TRO anyway. The axle riser is the way to go. And with a 3.5 SL you only need one or the other. You might want to wait until the full weight of the Bronco is on the springs before you finalize your design and welding because the angles will change as the springs compress.

Because of the height of the trackbar bracket on the axle, at full bump,stuff (well with the trackbar bracket about 1" away from the frame) i still have about 3/4" of space between the TRO and the frame side trackbar drop bracket. I understand that each bronco is set up different. Also, when i had the body on the frame and sitting at ride height, i took a measurement between the axle and frame. Good looking out though, thanks!

OP
OP
jlake4130

jlake4130

Loc.
phoenix, az
70-steve - thanks for the link, good read!
1 more question, what pitman arm fits the 4x4x2 box? i believe all the venders have them listed as 66-75, or 76-77 (or something like that). also, i don't have the stock arm to use a comparison so could someone suggest a vendor that has one that will work (part # maybe)? Should i use a drop pitman arm or strait?
Sorry more then 1 question, lol!
thanks again everyone!!

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I just went through the same basic thing, mine is different but close enought that I think it will work for you.

From what I understand the track bar and the drag link should be as close to the same lenth as possible and parallel to each other or as a parallel agram.
I think for now I would install your steering box and a stock bronco pitman arm and then cut a piece of dowel or 3/4" conduit and make it the same lenth as your track bar from the houseing mount to the stock frame mount. Wire this 3/4" dowel to the bottom of your stock pitman arm and wire onto the connecting tie rod,and see what you got. From there I think you can get a 2" or a 4" drop pitman. And if nothing else it will take you to the next step.
Looking at yours I think it would of been nice if you could of lenthed your track bar which would of flaten its angle and allowed a longer drag link for the same reasons.

Mines made up of abunch of less than ideal parts but still mine ohmost parallel and within 1/2" of the same lenth,so with any luck it well perform as expected and allow me to gather up the right parts to do it down the road.

OP
OP
jlake4130

jlake4130

Loc.
phoenix, az
redhot - thanks for the input! i wish i could have made the trackbar longer too but the coils were in the way.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
The track bar should be at the same static angle as your drag link - raise and lower it via the axle as they basically both come from the same place off the frame.