• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0/AOD swap Explorer 4.0 Radiator and AOD Trans. lines

rkb76project

Loc.
Yuba City, CA
Thanks to everyones help and the school of hard knocks, I'm convinced to go with the Explorer 4.0 radiator for my EFI swap. I am trying to make this look real clean and not hacked together. I just have a couple questions:

1. What year of Explorer/Ranger 4.0 radiator fits the best? Are they different? Is my power steering box an issue?

2. My AOD transmission lines are smaller than the Explorer lines. How do I know this? I thought I would be smart and get a radiator from a 5.0 explorer (a V8 radiator must be the best), the transmission lines and cooler. As all of you already know, none of it fits! (Another lessoned learned on this very long project) How is everyone connecting the AOD transmission lines to the 4.0 radiator? Are they the same size?

3. I have a 1" body lift, will that create any issues?

As always any help is greatly appreciated.........

mattt

Bronco Guru
The Explorer 5.0 lines are 3/8". The stock AOD lines that I've seen are 5/16". I know this because I am in the process of installing Explorer 5.0 lines in my Bronco with an AOD. If you get the adapter fittings from the Explorer 4R70W trans, you will be able to hook these lines to the AOD. The Explorer lines fit pretty well given the fact they are from another vehicle. Since it's another short engine compartment vehicle with a SBF and AOD based trans, they work with just a little tweaking.
Forgot to add: If you can't find or use the factory fittings, the case ports are 1/4" NPT.

On the radiator end, you will need adapters or the factory radiator fittings for the radiator you are using. Adapting these lines to a Bronco radiator will involve stepping down from 3/8" line to 1/8" NPT connections in the radiator. It looks like I'll be using two adapters....the stock Bronco 1/8" NPT to 5/16" flare. Then 5/16" flare to 3/8" flare.

Last edited:

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
see if you can find some of these little brass fittings for the transmission side:

646695354_GwbDv-M.jpg

it'll keep the lines away from the headers if you have them then you can connect up some 3/8ths hard line. I went about 2 or 3 feet up from the transmission into the engine compmartment and then used rubber the rest of the way to the aux cooler and through the Explorer 4.0 radiator. Just used some barbed elbows on the radiator side.

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
this was before I added the radiator cooler to the fluid loop
639190058_i4h2V-M.jpg

nevermind the red circle. just showing the rubber routing and barbed elbow coming off the explorer 4.0 radiator
814174009_rYqx2-M.jpg

OP
OP
R

rkb76project

Loc.
Yuba City, CA
The Explorer 5.0 lines are 3/8". The stock AOD lines that I've seen are 5/16". I know this because I am in the process of installing Explorer 5.0 lines in my Bronco with an AOD. If you get the adapter fittings from the Explorer 4R70W trans, you will be able to hook these lines to the AOD. The Explorer lines fit pretty well given the fact they are from another vehicle. Since it's another short engine compartment vehicle with a SBF and AOD based trans, they work with just a little tweaking.
Forgot to add: If you can't find or use the factory fittings, the case ports are 1/4" NPT.

On the radiator end, you will need adapters or the factory radiator fittings for the radiator you are using. Adapting these lines to a Bronco radiator will involve stepping down from 3/8" line to 1/8" NPT connections in the radiator. It looks like I'll be using two adapters....the stock Bronco 1/8" NPT to 5/16" flare. Then 5/16" flare to 3/8" flare.

Thanks for the help guys. Now for the other big question, what year of radiator do I need?

Will the adapter fittings from the 4R70W fit in the AOD without drilling and tapping?

Last edited:

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
something with the link is not working. I think a 94 explorer 4.0 should work.

check posts by fungus for more info

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I mentioned this before on another thread. I'm doing a 2000 Explorer 5.0L / 4R70W install. I thought the explorer radiator would be a good choice. As you mentioned it just doesn't fit. Too big. I think there is a good reason that it's too big. It was designed for more capacity than the 4.0L. I wonder how well it perform on the 5.0 with the added load put on it by the tranny cooler. The explorer radiators are designed to function with a big ass A/C radiator clipped on in front of them so capacity of the 4.0 radiator might be OK with no A/C. They are also very tightly shrouded in the Explorers to assure good air flow with no recirculation.

The plastic side tanks on the Explorer radiators also seem to be problematic with cracks and leaks where the flang is crimped to the radiator. I've gone through a catistrophic failure on the origional and leaks on two new replacements in the past year on my 98 Exploder. I don't think they tollerate being bounced and twisted on the trails very well.

Last edited:

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
I am running 96 Explorer motor w/ 4R70W using a 4.0 Explorer radiator and a Taurus fan.

The output of the 4R70W goes through the radiator first, then to a Derale aux cooler and then back to the pan.

So far so good. I have the Taurus fan very tightly fit to the explorer radiator with no air leaks. It seems to have more than enough cooling capacity. I'm still holding out for that 105 degree day sitting in traffic to give it my official blessing.

I had a Taurus fan motor go out on me due to bad bearings. I had plenty of warning to get it fixed but chose to ignore it and it went out on me on a wheeling trip. I waited until night to drive home to avoid traffic stops and it did just fine without the fan. I carry a spare motor now.

I can't vouch for the Explorer 4.0 radiator with mechanical fan. It may not be sufficient. The Taurus fan really sucks an amazing amount of air through that radiator if properly installed.

see my thread here for a bunch more info:
Explorer 4.0 Radiator and Taurus Fan w/ pics
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152260

OP
OP
R

rkb76project

Loc.
Yuba City, CA
I have seen that some people have used the 1994 Explorer radiator and some are using the 1996 Explorer radiator. My parts guy tells me they are different. Is one better than the other?

I still need to know about the transmission fittings. I'd like to use the explorer lines without cutting them. Is there an adapter that goes from 5/16 to 3/8 that will work with the transmission lines?

Last edited:

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the help guys. Now for the other big question, what year of radiator do I need?

Will the adapter fittings from the 4R70W fit in the AOD without drilling and tapping?

Yes, both 4R70W & AOD trans cases have the same 1/4" NPT connections. I've attached a few pics. The smaller hole fitting is the original AOD fitting. The larger hole fitting is the 4R70W.

Attachments

• 0621101857.jpg
    0621101857.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 0621101858.jpg
    0621101858.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 15

mattt

Bronco Guru
I was thinking about using a 5.0 Explorer radiator, so I measured one in the junkyard. It is within 1/2" width of the Bronco radiator. However, it is about 5" longer/deeper than a Bronco radiator. If you had a 2-3" body lift and have some fab & welding skills it could work. I know of at least one guy out here in Socal running an Explorer radiator.
How different is the 4.0 Explorer radiator from the 5.0 Explorer radiator?

From what I remember when I pulled the lines I am using.....the factory setup on the line routing is for the out line from the trans to the aux cooler first, then pass thru the radiator cooler, then back into the trans. I believe that is done to normalize the trans fluid temp when driving in very cold weather. Too cold is no good for the trans fluid & sending it thru the radiator second can raise the trans fluid temp to engine temp. That is how I'm running mine.

The in and out port are reversed between an AOD and 4R70W so keep that in mind when you plumb it up.