• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5 passenger Bronco

klake575

So i haven't even finished my project and we may have out grown it. We have the holy carp how did that happen child on the way, which puts us at 3. With the oldest at 5,3 and now a new born, how do i make it work? Anyone else run into this issue, if so how did you handle it? The whole idea was to have a family rig to enjoy together. any ideas would be appreciated.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Maybe this will help.

Attachments

• imagesCAERHNOG.jpg
    imagesCAERHNOG.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 122

NYLES

Bronco Guru
You could sell one of em!......seriously though maybe built it as a stretch, or go full width axles so you can cut out the innner fenders for a bigger seat? A full width seat in the front? This could get interestin!

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Got the same problem but I got four kids. So I got another bronco! Now they all fit!!

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I have the same problem. I was thinking a bench seat in the front. Or a way to mount a car seat in between the two front seats

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I had the very same issue about 20 years ago!!

I ended up selling my 69 Bronco and buying an an 82 FSB. I still have not forgiven my 3rd kid.

(Note to wife: JUST KIDDING!!! ;D )

We actually strapped a car seat on the floor between the front buckets and that worked for almost 2 years. However I think the infant car seat laws in most states have changed in 20 years and would not allow that plus I think the car seats are bigger for better protection and probably will not fit between the front seats now-a-days.

So I think the best solution has already been voiced - get a bench seat for the front.

Second option would be to build a stretched 4-door EB! That will make room for that 4th unexpected kid! :eek:

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I agree with Rusty, but $130!%) I paid $10 for mine at the pick and pull. I've wheeled many times in my rig with 2 car seats in the back and #3 in the middle. Everyone was happy.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Find you a bench seat for the front. I have fit 3 on a stock Bronco rear before...a little cramped but really not too bad. The middle seats can be found in Jeep Cherokees of the 80s era. I have 4 kids, I added a third row to mine ;D Mine is stretched 12"

RT

Bronco Guru
go full width axles so you can cut out the innner fenders for a bigger seat?

I've seen this done for just that reason , worked out very well.

Go for it !

Bronco Biff

Contributor
I added a third seat belt on the back seat doubling them up under the two inner seat belt bolts. 6, 8, and 10 year olds fit fine.

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
or go full width axles so you can cut out the innner fenders for a bigger seat?

This is what I was gonna do in the crawler. I had a fold and tumble rear seat from a '90 FSB and a 60/40 split front from a '99 Ranger. This seating arrangement would allow me to seat 6 with seat belts (4 kids). Scrapped the idea though and now I'm putting the FW running gear in my '69 with stock EB seats for now. May revisit the idea down the road.

brianz426

I added a third seat belt on the back seat doubling them up under the two inner seat belt bolts. 6, 8, and 10 year olds fit fine.

This is good to know. Thanks. My kids are 7,9 & 11. This will be my first mod after I pick up the '77 Ranger I bought from my brother.:)

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Find you a bench seat for the front. I have fit 3 on a stock Bronco rear before...a little cramped but really not too bad. The middle seats can be found in Jeep Cherokees of the 80s era. I have 4 kids, I added a third row to mine ;D Mine is stretched 12"

Exactly what I did. Swapped a front bench and all is well. A grand Cherokee center seat will work from the early 80s too in between front buckets.

broncodrew

Wow, sounds like me...I have 3 boys....6,3 and 1. I was able to fit all in mine...including the wife...kid #3 sat in a car seat and # 1 and #2 sat next to him , sharing a seat belt. Legal? Maybe? Safe? Probably not, but it was my wife's idea and I didnt want her to change her mind:) sure there was a lot of bitching from the back seat but in my mind, it was the best ride of my life with everyone together! Good luck, I am always looking for another one because they grow up way too fast.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Wow, sounds like me...I have 3 boys....6,3 and 1. I was able to fit all in mine...including the wife...kid #3 sat in a car seat and # 1 and #2 sat next to him , sharing a seat belt. Legal? Maybe? Safe? Probably not, but it was my wife's idea and I didnt want her to change her mind:) sure there was a lot of bitching from the back seat but in my mind, it was the best ride of my life with everyone together! Good luck, I am always looking for another one because they grow up way too fast.

Luckily we only had to worry about 2. Do your best to mind the seatbelt laws. The oldest may be able to fit in a forward facing car seat on a front bench seat. Technically here in MN/WI the smallest would have to be in a rear facing car seat in the back seat for quite a while. Maybe mom could sit back there with that one and the two other younguns could sit in a front bench. I wonder how most of us survived the era of steel dashboards and no seatbelts? I hope you can find a front bench and get this accomplished. Let any bitching from the kids run off like water off a duck's back. It's good character building for the little darlings.

OP
OP
K

klake575

I like the ideas. the full width in he back sounds the best, but probably above my pay grade. They are all girls and luckily they take after their mom. The 5 yr old just hit 40" and 40lbs, so in according to WI laws she just became legal for a booster. I will have to look at the laws for the bench seat and the 5yr old up front in a booster. I would hate to give up the 73, but the idea of a FSB did cross my mind. I will hold out for now. please keep the ideas coming though, this site has always helped me past my mind blocks in the past.

joshuar6447

Loc.
spotsylvania
4doorr.jpg

Problem solved?