• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

66 Adding Power Steering

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
74 steering box and pump are in place. Whats the best or proper way to adapt my 66 shaft to steering box? 1) I have the blue short universal shaft that fits steering box. Do I use it and cut my shaft and use the straight coupler shown, 2) connect same using the black universal coupler or 3) cut shaft and just use the black universal coupler straight to the steering box? Or am I going about this totally wrong and really need a rag joint?

Attachments

• Steering Shaft.jpg
    Steering Shaft.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Coupler.jpg
    Coupler.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 5
  • steeringjoint.jpg
    steeringjoint.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 8

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Personally I would use the lower shaft you show with the black u-joint in the center between the upper and lower shaft.

70_Steve

Old Guy
My $.02

Use the blue shaft with the u-joint that fits the box. Then if that black u-joint is 3/4", cut your steering shaft, and the very end off that blue shaft so you use that black u-joint. That's pretty much what I did, except the blue shaft on mind is a DD shaft.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While I agree some combo of the blue shaft and another joint would be good. You could just remove the shaft out of the blue yoke or get another yoke to fit your shaft(tractor shop will have it) And cut your 66 shaft to fit and weld on the new yoke. One joint is all thats needed.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Where did you get the steering joint ? (Pic3)

How did it turn out?

(<-- '68 w/ the power steering out of a 75, looking to install soon)

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
explorer i put power steering in my 67 with the factory lower shaft (blue one) and a Borgeson double D U joint to the stock 67 shaft worked out well no binding and smooth as could be. I would not go back to a rag joint to much slop.

OP
OP
Explorer

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Where did you get the steering joint ? (Pic3)

How did it turn out?

(<-- '68 w/ the power steering out of a 75, looking to install soon)

Bought it off E-Bay, Borgeson if I remember right. Everything turned out fine. Cut and turned the blue shaft to 3/4" and used a 3/4" smooth to 3/4" smooth, bolt thru both ends.

Attachments

• Steering Shaftsmall.jpg
    Steering Shaftsmall.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 34