• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'69 Derelict Rescue

serial car restorer

Loc.
Western Oregon
I made a verbal deal on the Bronc after seeing it in person last week. Today was the planned completion of the deal. The day did not go as planned.

The seller and the Bronc were about 110 miles away. The trailer I was borrowing is a rather heavy unit, and I was concerned about overstressing my poor old Tacoma in the forecasted 100°F heat today. So I conscripted a friend and his big Duramax Silverado for the trip.

It did not start out well. My friend called a few minutes before he was planning to meet at my place to get me and the trailer, saying the Chevy made an odd noise, threw a CEL and started missing badly. So he was heading back home to plug in his code reader. Fearing something major, I started looking for an alternative, and warned the seller that it was looking like it wasn't going to happen today.

About 45 minutes later, while I was still looking for an available truck, my friend called me to say that the code reader said it was low voltage or open circuit on injector bank B (or something like that). Which did not sound good to me. But then he continued to say that while he did not clear the code, as soon as he read it, the truck began to run normally again. He took it for an errand as a test, all seemed totally normal and the code cleared itself during the drive.

We decided to take a chance on it. We figured (hoped) that if it did OK on the drive across town to my place that maybe it would be OK on the trip. Got to my place, still running fine, so we hooked up the trailer and hit the road, about 2 hours later than planned.

The Chevy ran fine the whole way up. I exchanged cash for signed papers, started the Bronc and drove it on the trailer, tied it down and loaded a whole mess of spare parts into the Bronc and the bed of the Chevy. Not sure how many of the loose parts are any good, but I can determine that later.

Started the trip back home with the Bronc filling the mirror. All going well. We stop at a truck stop where parking with a trailer is easy for lunch. After lunch we found that the freeway on ramp there was closed for road work, and started on a very circuitous detour to try to get back on the freeway. While snaking all over the county (or so it seemed), the next issue popped up. We blew a tire on the dual axle trailer. No spare, and I don't know if the Silverado jack woulfdhave been able to lift it anyway. Siri found us a tire store about 7 miles away, so we crept down the shoulder with the flashers on to get to the tire store.

Yes, they had a tire, but when they looked at the hub they pointed out that the borrowed trailer only had 3 of 5 lug nuts on that wheel, because 2 of the studs were badly borked up. They wouldn't put a tire on it with 2 missing nuts. I had no tools with me. While silently cursing the trailer's owner under my breath, and myself as well for not inspecting it closer before hitting the road with it, we agreed with the tire people that the wheel studs would need to be replaced, and then the replacement tire installed.

Of course, there was only an hour left until closing, and there was no way they could finish it today. So the trailer w/Bronco was left in their fenced compound, and they will start on it tomorrow. We completed the trip home w/o trailer. I'm hoping they can get it done by mid-day tomorrow so I can go pick it back up tomorrow afternoon, but it might not be ready in time tomorrow and I'll need to go on Saturday instead.

On the plus side, the Chevy ran fine the whole trip. Hopefully it will do so again on part 2. Here's a couple initial pics...

1725598206_dsc_0037_mmthumb.jpeg

1725598226_dsc_0038_mmthumb.jpeg

Last edited:

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry you had all the trouble, but after looking at the Bronco it will probably be worth all the hassles when you look back some day. Hope you have no more troubles getting it home!

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Always can be worse even though the trip must have been frustrating. Someday n the near future when you are driving around in the Bronco with your buddy, this will be a fun story you share with good memories I am betting. Congrats on the purchase.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
SOMETIMES Bronco/trailer rides with buddies make for the best days and stories!! congrats!!
SCRAP.jpg

Attachments

• SCRAP2.jpg
    SCRAP2.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 16
  • TIM.jpg
    TIM.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 16

Jakedog

Congrats on your purchase.
I did trailer my Bronco home with my 2004 Tacoma 4x4. It was not the best decision I ever made, but we did it.
600 mile round trip.
I figured the trailer was 2200 lbs, the Bronco with "C" channel rear bumper, and front old school winch bumper with winch was around 4300 lbs.
Plus all the extra parts including heavy side steps that I will never use, and plenty of extra stuff that you end up with when the owner sells his vehicle.
Which we all know is another way to clean out the garage.

My poor truck was waaay over loaded. Shouldn't have towed it with that truck.

OP
OP
serial car restorer

serial car restorer

Loc.
Western Oregon
My 1996 Tacoma 4x4 is a great truck, but it's old and has more than a quarter million miles on it now. Rated at 5000 lbs tow capacity, I'm sure it would have been well over that. I'm fine with the decision not to use it.

No word yet on whether they were able to get the right wheel studs today. Still hoping to be able to go get it tomorrow.

Edit - It is ready to roll. I'll head out first thing tomorrow.

Last edited:

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Good news! Safe travels to and from the ‘recovery’ trip. Looks like a good find.

Randy

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Quite an adventure, good luck as it continues! Bronco sure looks to be along way from 'derelict'.

OP
OP
serial car restorer

serial car restorer

Loc.
Western Oregon
Today's trip went every bit as smoothly as the previous trip did not. I unloaded it in the street and it drove into the garage under its own power. That's very rare for my projects, I think this is only the second one to do that. And it is sitting there in the garage waiting for me, with a flat LF tire.

I haven't really started exploring to see what I bought. Just a few odds and ends so far. First inspection shows it to be mostly stock, other than headers, dual exhaust and what looks to be probably around 2" suspension lift. No body lift. The tires are 31x10.50R15 on 15x8's with approximately 4" backside. They poke a fair bit in back, and I suspect the funky coil-over spring assist shocks on the rear are all that keeps them from rubbing on the uncut fenders. I like the stance, but the suspension will need a refresh at some point. I'll probably want to drop to a bit narrower wheel to tuck things in a bit.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more later.

1725761946_dsc_0041_mmthumb.jpeg

1725761964_dsc_0043_mmthumb.jpeg

OP
OP
serial car restorer

serial car restorer

Loc.
Western Oregon
I've spent some time this week continuing to assess what I bought. As is always the case, there's some good, and some not-so-good.

I was pretty sure from the initial inspection that I'd want to replace both fenders and the windshield frame, and I've confirmed that now. I'll also need to replace the inner cowl at the base of the windshield, as well as the underhood cowl on the passenger side. The driver's door is rusty and warped from the heat of the interior fire years ago, the passenger door might be worth re-skinning, but only if I can repair the welded window frame. If I can't repair that I'll replace both doors.

As I suspected all along (but hoped I was wrong), I'm going to need to rewire the entire truck. Also, it turns out I have no (zero, none) fuel tanks. The originals are both missing, and the spare plastic 8 gallon is cracked.

The rig has a 2-3" suspension lift. Front shocks are Rancho RS5000 (RS5115) which are for 2-4" lift. No blocks in back, the springs have 5 leaves plus a flat breaker leaf. Rear shocks are Monroe Load-levelers (coil-assist). No body lift. The 2-3" seems pretty good to me, but the rear springs might need to be replaced if I can't get them cleaned up (a lot of surface rust).

The dual exhaust is a bit sketchy, especially at the front where it connects with the headers. Going to need some work there.

Then today, my Marti Report arrived. Color was confirmed as Sky View Blue, and it had Parchment Buckets. (No mention of a rear seat—did bucket seats in a hard top always include the rear seat? Or would the rear seat been a separate option?) Other options were dual tanks, skid plates, hubs, Extra Cooling radiator, AM radio, and the big surprise—Axle code B8J—3.50 limited slip rear with limited slip front! Immediately went out and jacked it up to confirm, and yes it does have limited slip at both ends.

Still happy with my purchase so far. I'm starting to poke around for odds and ends now, things that I know for sure that I'll need.

More to come.

1726194346_00808_6b2bvewb3x3_0ci0t2_1200x900_mmthumb.jpeg

1726194366_01515_1sbcofg0khu_0ci0t2_1200x900_mmthumb.jpeg

1726194389_00m0m_kddxp1zmsqz_0ci0t2_1200x900_mmthumb.jpeg

Last edited: