• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

72 Explorer Sport: Restore/install trim or no? Opinion poll.

Thaddeusrex

Hi all,

I’d like to see what you all think about body trim bling for my 72 restomod project. I don’t have a design bone in my body, so I have a real hard time picturing what would look good on the finished truck. It came with the 1-year-only for 72 Explorer and Sport package, so all the bling. Side moldings, rockers, grill, windows, doors etc. I have all the original moldings, and they’re in good restorable condition. It’s a restomod, so I’ll have things like LED lights, new mirrors, wheels, roll cage, modern interior, and rebuilt/updated engine and suspension (347, not coyote). I’m even seeing if I can get my hands on a carbon fiber hood and fenders. I’ll probably paint it a conservative dark metallic color like blue or green or charcoal. All the restomod trucks I see like that have all the bling removed, but I kinda feel like hey it’s a 1-year-only, and the bling is what an Exploere Sport IS, so I should restore it. What do you think? Does the trim make it look like Grandpa’s truck and negate the restomod-ness? Or could it be cool?

All opinions welcome.

Thanks!

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
IMO it'll look good either way. if you are going the effort to fully repaint it, i would put new trim on it unless you can restore the trim to look damn near new. will you have other "chrome" pieces like stock bumpers, grill trim, mirrors, etc? if so the explorer trim will fit in nicely. if not, maybe consider ditching it since it may not "flow" with the look. on all my car builds i try to go for a "clean" look and what flows well vs deciding on specific trims or colors

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

IMO it'll look good either way. if you are going the effort to fully repaint it, i would put new trim on it unless you can restore the trim to look damn near new. will you have other "chrome" pieces like stock bumpers, grill trim, mirrors, etc? if so the explorer trim will fit in nicely. if not, maybe consider ditching it since it may not "flow" with the look. on all my car builds i try to go for a "clean" look and what flows well vs deciding on specific trims or colors
Yes, I’ll have chrome bumpers. i guess chrome grill surround and mirrors depends on if I do the rest. Kind of all-or-nothing I think? The trim is restorable, and I’m very patient (and retired) with that sort of thing.

I admit, I’m having fantasies of getting some billet stock aluminum and seeing if I can replicate the trim in a solid form with my router and a milling bit. That way it won’t dent up so easy, and would be more restomod. I wonder if that exists out there? Anodized would be uber cool. But I digress…

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I admit, I’m having fantasies of getting some billet stock aluminum and seeing if I can replicate the trim in a solid form with my router and a milling bit. That way it won’t dent up so easy, and would be more restomod. I wonder if that exists out there? Anodized would be uber cool. But I digress…
I've thought about machining the trim as well and having it hard anodized. Tooling wouldn't be too bad if enough interest!

Thoughts on the trim.........tough one for me as when I got my first Bronco, I wanted to have all the bells and whistles as far as trim went.......fast forward 34 years or so, I'm glad I didn't because now I prefer the minimalistic look. Hell, I've even thought of deleting my side markers next round of paint!

So sorry, really no help from me on this one!

Zeke

Thad,

I am faced with the same situation. My 74 Ranger is missing all the Ranger interior parts, but retains the exterior bright trim.

It's my understanding to polish the trim you need to remove the anodizing. If done, then keep the trim looking good it will require periodic polishing without the anodizing. I don't know if the removal of the anodizing will remove the black paint on the belt side molding, but that is also consideration if restoring.

Replacement trim is available, but I have heard good and bad things about it. Maybe some members can comment.

For me, bringing the 74 back to "fully equipped Ranger" may be cost prohibitive (especially due to the interior requirements).

FWIW, these days you see all combinations of trim on different models (Sports and Rangers with no trim, Rangers with partial trim, etc.). I think the choice is really up to you.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Mine is also a '72 Explorer Sport, and mine will be a mild restomod, trying to stay close to original with subtle updates like flared rear quarters, mild lift, larger tires and wheels, some minor interior updates, color change, etc. I'm keeping the trim on mine. I just like the way it looks! I'm normally a "the less chrome the better" kind of guy with my vehicles, but I love it on the Bronco. As far as the anodizing, if you have to strip it off to repair the trim, just paint the black back on (if you have a steady hand, I don't think I could do it) and Cerakote makes a clear coating. I figure if it will stand up to the abuse of heavy firearms use, it should be just fine on the trim pieces on a Bronco. But that is just my opinion on all of it.

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

Dmoses, sounds like we’re building the same truck! Good tip on the Cerakote, i’ll check that out.

well, this has been interesting already for sure. Sounds like a lot of guys still like the trim. seeing as how all the fancy high dollar builds get everything shaved, i thought it might go the other way. Keep the opinions coming, thanks!

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I'm building a restomod. And I am keeping the factory look as much as possible. I have a Special Decor, so no belt line or rocket trim. But it does have the factory chrome. I like it and I'm keeping it.

Attachments

• PXL_20210813_001433819.jpg
    PXL_20210813_001433819.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20210813_001502306.jpg
    PXL_20210813_001502306.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 23

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I love the brightwork trim and a mix of the new. gnsteam has a nice mix of both worlds IMO and I am replicating something similar with my rebuild as well.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
My Ranger came without beltline trim. The PO stuck some on with trim tape. I liked it but decided to go back to original and pulled it off. I like it better without it.

29b54ba460bf0a24952faa60a30a164e.jpg

e88c06922fa8147f882a24ebfa70d591.png

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
My Ranger came without beltline trim. The PO stuck some on with trim tape. I liked it but decided to go back to original and pulled it off. I like it better without it.

I agree, looks better without. The trim distracts the eyes away from the Ranger stripes.

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

I'm building a restomod. And I am keeping the factory look as much as possible. I have a Special Decor, so no belt line or rocket trim. But it does have the factory chrome. I like it and I'm keeping it.
Very cool truck. I like the body color top too. I think i’ll go with that too.

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

How hard was it to remove that trim tape without damage? Does that stuff really stay attached. At least with that, you can fill body holes, stick trim on, and then change your mind later if you want. Wondering if that’s a good option.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
How hard was it to remove that trim tape without damage? Does that stuff really stay attached. At least with that, you can fill body holes, stick trim on, and then change your mind later if you want. Wondering if that’s a good option.

It was on there good and had been for over 20 years. I’m sure results vary depending on the tape used but it came off pretty easy.
I used WD40 to loosen it up. Let that soak overnight and used a nylon paint scraper to carefully pry the trim off. Then I went around and cleaned up any residue with Goo-Gone and swirl remover. No paint damage or fade that I can see and that’s the original paint…..

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

It was on there good and had been for over 20 years. I’m sure results vary depending on the tape used but it came off pretty easy.
I used WD40 to loosen it up. Let that soak overnight and used a nylon paint scraper to carefully pry the trim off. Then I went around and cleaned up any residue with Goo-Gone and swirl remover. No paint damage or fade that I can see and that’s the original paint…..
Interesting. I might go that route so I can fill the body holes and have the option of trim or no. Anybody know what kind of tape to use?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Interesting. I might go that route so I can fill the body holes and have the option of trim or no. Anybody know what kind of tape to use?

I would 3M VHB tape. It comes in several varieties. I don’t know which would be best but I know it works. Here’s a guide.

It might be worth contacting 3M for advice regarding your specific application.

OP
OP
Thaddeusrex

Thaddeusrex

I would 3M VHB tape. It comes in several varieties. I don’t know which would be best but I know it works. Here’s a guide.

It might be worth contacting 3M for advice regarding your specific application.

Perfect. Thank you so much Slowleak, this is what I’ll do. Two additional advantages occur to me: Filling the holes will prevent water getting inside the panels from leaky gaskets, and also I can line the trim pieces up more easily/accurately because I’m not dependent on the holes lining up.