• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 old style big bearing disc brake options.

R0kcrwlr

So I have spent a few hours searching the web for a economical rear disc brake kit which seems to be pretty difficult. I know many folks run the explorer disc but they seem to bolt on with the 74/75 diffs not so much with the 77 old style, correct?

I looked at the following.

These seem to be cheaper in cost.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/630618/10002/-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-78-Fo...e:Ford&hash=item2626b0579e:g:rEYAAOSwyX9deSSB

These seem to be more expensive:

I called BC Bronco and Wild Horse which WH seem to have the easier kit that fit various axles but with BC I needed to worry about the back spacing. TBP kit seems to be about the same $695 price range.

I saw Jeff's Bronco uses a TSM kit which seemed to be around $500.

What is the most economical direction to go when it comes to purchasing a disc brake kit.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Currie Enterprises. CE-6012E4 - Is this the one you looked up?

This should be a Direct Bolt-On Kit for the Big Bearing (76-77 Bronco) Rear Housing.

Explorer 11" Rotors, Calipers and Drum Style E-Brake. 5x5.5" Bolt Pattern and for 1/2" Studs. $575 and +$40 with Caliper Cables Direct from Currie.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Currie Enterprises. CE-6012E4 - Is this the one you looked up?

This should be a Direct Bolt-On Kit for the Big Bearing (76-77 Bronco) Rear Housing.

Explorer 11" Rotors, Calipers and Drum Style E-Brake. 5x5.5" Bolt Pattern and for 1/2" Studs. $575 and +$40 with Caliper Cables Direct from Currie.

No, that's for the late model/Torino housing ends.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
So I have spent a few hours searching the web for a economical rear disc brake kit which seems to be pretty difficult. I know many folks run the explorer disc but they seem to bolt on with the 74/75 diffs not so much with the 77 old style, correct?

I looked at the following.

These seem to be cheaper in cost.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/630618/10002/-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-78-Fo...e:Ford&hash=item2626b0579e:g:rEYAAOSwyX9deSSB

These seem to be more expensive:

I called BC Bronco and Wild Horse which WH seem to have the easier kit that fit various axles but with BC I needed to worry about the back spacing. TBP kit seems to be about the same $695 price range.

I saw Jeff's Bronco uses a TSM kit which seemed to be around $500.

What is the most economical direction to go when it comes to purchasing a disc brake kit.

The kits you reference above are about the cheapest you can get for the 77 rear end. One of the biggest questions is whether you're wanting to retain a parking brake or not.

Todd Z.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I have the bc kit on a 77 rear housing. It bolts up fine. If you're going with the caddy rear calipers the bc kit is the only one I've seen that puts the bleeders in the right place. The other cheaper kits you have to pull the caliper out to bleed it.

Jaybr

Contributor
I was leaning toward the Currie kit until I realized it requires offset axles.

OP
OP
R

R0kcrwlr

so this still seems to be a bit confusing.. haha. so no go for Currie?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I have the tsm caliper mounts on the 66. Pain in the arse to bleed. Pay the extra couple bucks for the bc mounts.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
used redrilled 85 cj rotors, calipers - elderado rears ('85, I want e-brake) & some brackets offa race car supplier - less than $250 (in 2008). U can bolt or weld the brackets on the big bearing...

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
used redrilled 85 cj rotors, calipers - elderado rears ('85, I want e-brake) & some brackets offa race car supplier - less than $250 (in 2008). U can bolt or weld the brackets on the big bearing...

The BC kit uses CJ rotors because you don't have to redrill them as they are already 5 on 5 and 1/2. The bracket that they use puts the caliper in the right spot to grab ahold of that CJ rotor. But depending on which axle you have they have different brackets since Through The Years EB's had different axle flange offsets.

I run the rear disc BC kit. I bought it because I was able to buy it in stages since at the time I couldn't afford the whole kit at once. But it turned out to be a really good kit even though I was buying it for economical reasons at the time 20+ years ago.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Pretty sure with the bc kit everything is available at the local parts store except the caliper brackets.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
cj, elderado, race car co

Pretty sure with the bc kit everything is available at the local parts store except the caliper brackets.
Again, this is 4 the big bearing...
That's just how I did it.
AutoZone parts guy at the time...
;D
Save $, ask a bro (Chuck schooled me on the phone in the '90s...

asmith140

Contributor
Ck out Master Power Brake’s they haves kit now that will work