• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'79 F-150 column to '71 Bronco wiring

ENDLIFE

Im trying to finish my column swap, but I have now run into the issue of wiring. Does anyone have a picture of the horseshoe to Bronco harness to post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

mattt

Bronco Guru
You can pretty much match wire color and stripe to each other....at least you could on my 69. Does your 71 have one square plug with 6 wires and one rectangular small plug with 2 wires?

There is a write up in the tech section on BC Broncos website.

OP
OP
ENDLIFE

ENDLIFE

Thanks Mattt. I fought through the poo and found the right combination of wiring, and somehow got ti right the first time. The BC Broncos diagram doesn't cover all the wiring for some reason, I had to look up the year specific column and compare it to my column. It works and I LOVE this column,

mattt

Bronco Guru
There were 8 wires to hook up in my 69. If your 71 has two horn wires, it should be the same. Did you find that the general color of the wires was the same or very similar between the 79 column and your stock 71 wiring?

On my 69 it was.

OP
OP
ENDLIFE

ENDLIFE

Most of the wires were the same, but I got stuck on the last two wires. The flasher and horn positive wires had me, but after careful studying I got it.

hotrodtim68

Contributor
Column swap wiring

Hey guy , just so happens I am doing the similar swap now. I have a 78 p/u tilt going into a 68 wagon , that I pulled yesterday. Can you give me any heads up advice as to wiring from the horseshoe plug on the column to the two stock harness plugs. I looks to be a fairly simple project, following colors. But you never know until you proceed. Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks TIM:cool:;D;D;D

OP
OP
ENDLIFE

ENDLIFE

It's a fairly simple swap. Just a matter of gettin the upper colomn support off the old column, trimming the lower column support to the length of the column clamp, trim the column seal, cut the old square harness off the old harness to make your pig tail, and install the hell out of your column. I made my own shifter linkage, but the stock should work fine. If you want some pictures just let me know.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Hey guy , just so happens I am doing the similar swap now. I have a 78 p/u tilt going into a 68 wagon , that I pulled yesterday. Can you give me any heads up advice as to wiring from the horseshoe plug on the column to the two stock harness plugs. I looks to be a fairly simple project, following colors. But you never know until you proceed. Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks TIM:cool:;D;D;D

Cut the horseshoe plug off the tilt column and wire it up your existing 2 plugs to the wires in the tilt column. What I did with mine was stop by a local electronic supply store and pick up a pack of the male pins that are in the 6 pole and 2 pole stock plastic plugs, clips. You can remove the one that are in there with a sunglass size screwdriver....they are clipped/clicked into the plastic plug/clip. Once i figured out which wire matched to what, I just clicked the new male pins into my existing 69 plug. See pics....sorry the pic of the 6 pole plug is crappy.

You could also go the other way and keep the horseshoe on the column and wire the other half of the horseshoe into your Bronco.

Attachments

• turn3.JPG
    turn3.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 25
  • turn4.JPG
    turn4.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 22