• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

85 351w/88 351w flywheel imbalance

zeusakira

Loc.
Butler, PA
I have a 351w out of an 85 van that was an automatic. I am ready to put a flywheel on that I got from NAPA part #50-735, which is supposed to be for an 88 351w out of a f250. The flywheel is about 1" thick and I can't seem to find it on the search of there site. I am ready to bolt it on but now I want to be sure it is the right one. Would it be the correct imbalance and I read somewhere else that some one had their flywheel and it was 1.25" thick instead of 1" thick. It is also bolting up to a ZF tranny if that makes a difference.

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I don't think they changed the imbalance on the 351 at all, so that part should be right. I can't speak to the thickness, but I would guess that part is interchangeable for all years of the 351 as long as the tooth count is right as well as the diameter.

Dave

natureboy300

Loc.
livermore
Correct the imbalance of the 351w has stayed the same through its life at 28oz. There is a possibility that the design of the flywheel has changed due to changes of the of the bellhousings. If you call a parts house get a P/N for a 85 and 88 351w flywheel and see if they are the same just to be sure. There are some companies out there that make extra heavy flywheels and that may be where the differance in thickness is coming into play. Hope this helps

NB