• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

A couple questions about starters and winters shifter

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Hey folks, if you read my last thread about the HP line on the exploder pump, I was wrong. It's still leaking, so I ordered the fitting from WH...

Anyway, I have a few other minor issues to resolve that I'm hoping y'all can help me with.

First one is a screeching starter. It cranks fine, and starts right up, but there is a horrible screeching noise coming from the starter while it's cranking. My buddy suggested shimming it, which I assume means that it's going too deep and I just need to slap a washer on the mounting bolts to move it further out. Does that sound right? Will that potentially resolve the issue?

Second is my tranny shifter (4R70W, Winters Sidewinder). The tranny shifts into gear before the shifter reaches the locked shift point if that makes sense. In other words, as I shift from P to R, reverse will engage before it reaches the R position, so if I put the shifter all the way to the R position it's past the shift point on the tranny. I've tried adjusting it at the tranny side by putting it in N, loosening the cable end until it's centered in the shift linkage but I continue to have this problem. Any ideas?

Third, damn fuel leak. I've gone through two new fuel regulators (Holley Blue), and I've still got a leak on the outlet side. I'm about done with that reg and might just get one of the high dollar ones. I'm running a Holley Blue pump and carb. What regs have y'all used besides the holley that work well? I'd prefer to use an o-ring style fitting one not the NPT threaded ones like the damn holley.

Thanks for any help!