• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Added 1/2" wheel spacers. Need 1/2" longer wheel studs...

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Gentlemen,

I have seen many threads concerning this topic, but haven't come across a solution yet. Has anyone found a solution to the elusive longer wheel stud issue? My 76 front stud has the following dimensions.

1/2" x 20 RH
.625 (5/8") knurl diameter
.800 knurl length
1 15/16" underhead length

These are my dimensions to the best I can measure. I find no over the counter studs that are longer. I also don't know if I can run a smaller diameter knurl such as .618. If so, ARP has a set that are about 3" long that I can cut down, but they are very high dollar. Although I'd just as soon spend the money for them if I knew they would be safe to use. The extra money would be worth the head scratching to me. Another option would be to go with a 9/16" stud? What kind of problems can you run into there and is it even worth considering?

Many people on here seem to be running into this same problem and I'd like to see if someone can come to the rescue and finally answer this for all of us. But the answer can't be to take off my wheel spacers.

Thanks!

OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Would this work? Price is for set of ten.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIL-86155/

Summit Racing has a fairly good search tool where you can set parameters (what I did to find this)

I saw those the other day but all their models look different than my wheel stud. I think I need more knurl length to fit through my hub and I'm not sure they would have enough. Here's what mine look like. Think the ones you suggest would work in place of mine? Thanks.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/d...QDormanQQWheel_StudQQ19761996QQRB6102191.html

OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Looking at the picture of yours, this one might work better:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-610-277/

70EB, I never saw that wheel stud! I would bet that with the extra 1/4" of thread over stock and an extended shank lug nut I could pick up that 1/2" I need for the spacer. At $20 for both wheels, it's worth ordering them to find out. I really appreciate the time you spent helping me out. Take care.

OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
No problem. Glad to help. Post up if it works out for you.

I went ahead and ordered extended shank lug nuts and a 1/4" spacer along with the studs to try on one wheel. I'm hoping the thinner spacer still clears my tie rod and gives me that much more thread. The studs won't be shipped for several days due to being drop shipped, but I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks again for your help.

OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Well, just like usual, I've taken a ton of steps just to end up back where I started. Here's the deal. The weights used on my wheels will cause me to have to use 1/2" spacers. I need a wheel stud that is between 2.5 and 3" long. Can I use a different knurl diameter than .625?

Louie

Bronco Guru
What about switching to stick-on weights & get the weights off the lip?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How much thread engagement do you currently have? A 1/2-20 stud travels .050" per revolution and you only need 7-8 full turns of thread engagement at which point the cummulative engaged threads are stronger than the tensile strength of the stud itself, so only about .400". Not to say more isn't better, because it is, but it's not necessary.

You asked previously whether you could use a 9/16"-18 stud...I don't see why not. Those or M14 stud options would be a good choice if you can make them fit as most wheels designed for 60 degree conical lug nuts are drilled between .610" to .630" through for the wheel studs, so that should accommodate both 9/16 and M14 options.

Tobin