• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Added 2 gal Viair tank to ARB compressor

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thought I would post this since people are looking for onboard air ideas quite regularly. I've had the ARB compressor since about 2008. I don't know the model but Mike from Complete Offroad (at that time) suggested it in order to also be able to air tires. It would air tires but very slowly. Directions said you could damage if running steady for periods longer than 45 minutes, I never had to run it that long and it has worked flawlessly for what it is since 2008.

I recently removed my side tank. I decided to try a 2 gallon Viair tank mounted under the drivers seat and tied into the ARB compressor. I had to space the tank about 1/2 inch off the floor to have clearance to connect the hoses. I also added a drain, see how long it lives, when it gets broke I will put a plug. I used a 6ft piece of 250 psi hose from the ARB to the tank and some of the cheapo plastic to connect a gauge. I made the connection at the ARB with a T and a quick connect. Allows to connect the hose under the hood at the compressor when filling tires and also allows the tank to be disconnected if something happens to a hose, would still be able to work the front locker. It still isn't fast to air up tires but definitely was worth adding. My right rear was flat and got it up to 20 psi quite faster than what I was used to.

Attachments

• 2gal-tank-01.jpg
    2gal-tank-01.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 2gal-tank-02.jpg
    2gal-tank-02.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 2gal-tank-coupler.jpg
    2gal-tank-coupler.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 2gal-tank-gauge.jpg
    2gal-tank-gauge.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

CraigS

What I'm wiring up in my towing rig is a VIAIR 2 gallon tank connected to another under bed 7 gallon tank. To keep from frying the VIAIR compressor (30% duty cycle, I think), I'm adding an on-off timer relay that will allow the compressor to cycle 5 minutes on/15 minutes off, until it hits the preset tank pressure. Takes a while to fill, but I've got time while running down the highway. Can also shut off the additional tank and just run off the 2 gallon VIAIR tank if the system is depleted and you need air faster.