• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Adding Power Steering, Cheapest Way?

Crainbow243

Trying to add power steering to my 1975 Bronco and I have been shopping around and looking at post and there are a few kits out there that would work, but they are $1200+.

Is there any set of parts that you can get at an autoparts store that would work? Ford parts seem pretty cheap. Is there a pump/hoses/belt/box that are fitted to a different vehicle that can bolt/fab in pretty easily?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Theres info in the links section. http://classicbroncos.com/webmap/Steering/
Overall your best bet is probably the 4x4x2 setup. Its not the cheapest but can be done cheap depending on your local junkyard prices or craigslist. You can source pretty much all the parts at a junkyard.
There are some that could be cheaper depending on your current setup but not really better.
Probably the easiest way is to find someone selling a stock bronco box. People sell them reegularly on in our classifieds for around $400. While it may cost more than others but you'll need to modifiy less with it than the other boxes. I think any way you go your going to spend some money to do it. If you can do it for around $600 Id say your doing good.
Cheap and bronco dont go together like cheap and jeep:eek:

I believe theres a guy near you that parts out broncos regularly in our classifieds he might be a good source for you.

OP
OP
Crainbow243

Crainbow243

Where do I find info on the 4x4x2 setup? Didn't see that in the links there.

I think junkyard parts wouldn't be bad, but wouldn't they're be cheap parts new/aftermarket for any power steering part you could get from a junkyard?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Its the F150 setup in the link I posted or BC broncos website. Sorry I thought there were more conversions listed. Basically If you can find a cheap F150 box your doing good. Problem is finding a cheap one. They can still be found but prices are rising if people know what they have.

Here's a link to the guy thats in your area. He post stuff up all the time. Just watch the classifieds. Might be a good bet especailly if you dont have to have anything shipped. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257669

70_Steve

Old Guy
Where do I find info on the 4x4x2 setup? Didn't see that in the links there.
The 4x4x2 "setup" is just the steering box. You still need the rest of the power steering components to make it work!!!

If you're interested in the 4x4x2 box, check out West Coast Bronco's writeup.
http://www.wcb4x4.com/tech/diyrockcrawler.shtml

I think junkyard parts wouldn't be bad, but wouldn't they're be cheap parts new/aftermarket for any power steering part you could get from a junkyard?
New/ aftermarket parts will cost you what the kit costs. And possibly more, since the kit contains all the "correct" parts, and saves from buying an incompatible part, and having to source again.

When I did my first power steering conversion, I looked for "cheap" as well. The F150 2WD conversion came in at the cheapest. I was lucky in that I already had 2-groove pulleys. I contacted Randy, at Driven 4x4 Parts (easy, since I do live in Phoenix, AZ), and he hooked me up with the power steering box, PS pump, brackets, hoses from the original application, and a piece of double-d steering shaft. I bought the F150 2WD bracket, shortened drag link and 2 steering shaft u-joints from Wild Horses. I had the pressure hose "custom" made by a local hydraulic shop. All together I had less than $350 in the whole setup, and ran it for 12-13 years.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Watch the classifieds on here for a 4x4x2 box. Go with a Saginaw pump. The ford pumps don't like big tires. Get the pump bracket from a vendor. Then find hoses. Napa is usually good for hoses and adapters to make it work. . Also if you plan to upgrade the brakes later get a dual return pump.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
What is often called the Delphi box is probably the cheapest.

It has been used on a lot of vehicles since at least the '80s.

Cost will depend on how much of the work you are willing to do yourself, it will still most likely be cheapest, but it is not entirely bolt-on.

Though many say it is best with 35" and smaller tires.