• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

After Market Steering Columns

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Seems to be two major suppliers of after market columns. I need to replace mine so am looking for a simple no shifter, paintable column. Any pros or cons with either of the two? I'm guessing that both would require an adapter to use a Ford steering wheel AND that they are both GM electrical connectors too (not a problem now that I've got my RF Harnes in!)

Considered the pick and pull but don't want to skimp on the steering!!

Thanks for any input.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Go with the pick and pull

78 79 Ford half ton or Bronco with tilt. easy mod Real nice when you are driving it.

TOFIC

edinning

Loc.
Woodbine Maryland
I have a Flaming River with the Flaming river ez shaft. It works and looks great . It will cost a little more than a salvage part. I have an old style ez shaft that needs to be rebuilt that may save you a few bucks if you are interested. It needs 2 Bearings in the top DD joint. You can see it in my photo gallery.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
broncomanbrad said:
When you say easy..... how easy?
You getting fussy there son??? (us old farts can say that!!) LOL

Brad it is not rocket science or a lot of work. Basically a R & R. The 2 stumbling blocks are the wiring and the lower steering shaft connection. I got one out of a 78 Ford half ton and bolted it in. You put the bronco bracket on the column and bolt it up. some guys weld the bracket some guys bolt the bracket. I bolted mine. Wiring was a bit of a pain until I found the diagram on Chucks website. I cured the lower shaft problem by buying a collapisible unit from a 76 or 77 Bronco off Ebay.

Not hard just time consuming take your time and make SURE you have a dozen cool ones around just to make the job enjoyable (coke of course, cant drink and drive))

TOFIC