• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ahhhh my C-4 Modulator Blew out the back of the Tranny

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
HELP:-[ I finally got the brakes hooked up and went to test them out. I heard a loud pop and then the sound of fluid running down. I looked down through the missing tunnel cover and saw the Modulator sitting on the ground. The rod/valve came out with it. I didn't see any screrw or anything else. Why would this happen? Is it possible that I'm missing something that holds it in the tranny? And last but not least, what do I do now??????:mad:

Attachments

• C-4 modulator.JPG
    C-4 modulator.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 68

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Bummer. You need the clip that holds it in. I'll go out and snap some pictures of mine.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Homebrew flatstock and factory clips.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
JeepGuy

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh man. Yeah that looks like it would do the trick. Now I have to go find one. How do you put it back in?

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Oh man. Yeah that looks like it would do the trick. Now I have to go find one. How do you put it back in?

A C-5 retainer clip will work also as it is the same thing, so remember this when you are searching the boneyard. This clip is also made from spring steel and is very stiff but will allow easy tightening of the bolt.

Install the valve large diameter end goes in the bore first and push it in all the way till it stops. Then install the rod in the modulator before putting the modulator back in the trans, the forward end of the rod (or so called modulator pin) will nest in a socket in the tail end of the valve.

OP
OP
JeepGuy

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Like this?

Ok so if the tranny is to the right in the picture then this is how it goes in..... right??;D

Attachments

• modulator.JPG
    modulator.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 103
OP
OP
JeepGuy

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Question..... Does anybody sell the factory or aftermarket Modulator retainer? I'm very strapped for time and honestly dont have the time to measure cut, grind...... and I definately dont have the time to go hunting around a pick a part. Anybody know if they are sold?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I dought it when I had my part store I had no straps ...wrecking yard ...Hey Just in case you buy a new modulator valve be sure you get one with the same color ring on them ...If I remember correctly there was about 3 different ones..dont mix and match ..

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Question..... Does anybody sell the factory or aftermarket Modulator retainer? I'm very strapped for time and honestly dont have the time to measure cut, grind...... and I definately dont have the time to go hunting around a pick a part. Anybody know if they are sold?
Nope, not even the dealer has these. Wrecking yard is the place, and a C-5 retainer from your later model trans of the same family will work as well.