• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AHHHH! Water Pump

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
1 and a half years after I started my frame off restomodification of my bronco. (5.5" lift, lockers, 203 doubler, Wah, spring rockers, 2 bodies grafted together to make 1 good one, etc) About 4-6 hours every day in the garage.

I am filling this thing with fluids and just as I'm filling the coolant to the top, I look down and coolant is dripping on the ground. I crawl under and the water looks like it's coming from a hole on the bottom of the pump near the front. (almost looks like a weep hole) Does this mean I have a bad internal seal on the front of the pump? is the pump shot? I did not replace the water pump during the restoration as it seemed to have a good bearing in it, and I never noticed it leak before.

If I need to replace this thing, let me know and I'll do it. I'm dying to start this puppy.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I believe you are correct. Weep hole. My experiance says change it.

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
That's been my story to. Every time I let a vehicle sit for too long, the water pump dries up and the fuel pump breaks a diaphram. I store the radiator full of anti-freeze, maybe I should start doing that with the water pump to...

68ford

Bronco Guru
get the milidon high volume(only company with the correct side inlet),improved my cooling alot.

MATT76

Flow Kooler also has a model with the passenger side inlet. I got mine through Summit as well and was very happy this past summer with the significant decrease in temps, especially at low RPM. Went from mid 190's to 170's during like conditions.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
When I was running my 302 I had a Flow Kooler water pump, and it was far and beyond better than stock. I would't recommend running it any cooler than 175-180*, though. The oil doesn't reach it's optimum operating viscosity below that. Plus, condensation that forms inside the engine won't evaporate property at lower temps. The water combines with combustion by-products to form acids in the engine, which in turn causes internal corrosion.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Every time I ever let a 302/351 set over a month the water pump would weep like that. You could try running it a while to see if it slows down or stops but if it was mine Id just change it. If youre really hard up for cash dump a can of Barrs stop leak in it